Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Growing Up In Years Gone By

January 14, 2020

Good morning.  It's looking very gray outside my door this morning.  Today's temperature should reach a high of 40F degrees with lots of sunshine.  My energy level is definitely tied to the temperatures.  Those last two days that we had such warm temps had my energy at a healthy level.  Today, not so much.

Yesterday was a telephone day.  Booking airline flights shouldn't be a project, but it took me two hours to get this done.  I still have to reserve a rental car to use while Pogo and I are in Florida, but I'll wait until next month to do this. 

I also had to figure out my finances in order to make sure all the bills will be paid on time.  This one was a bit trickier than reserving airline tickets.  But, I'll work it out.  When one grows up in a wartime, one learns how to stretch every dollar out to its maximum.  You also learn as many crafts as you can.  (When you cannot afford to buy something, you make it.)

I learned the usual cooking, sewing, typing, shorthand, etc.  Also, knitting, crocheting, painting, wallpapering and how to shop, etc.  About the only thing I did not get to learn was how to fix my car.  I wanted to learn this, but growing up in my day did not let girls take automotive classes.  That was reserved for the boys.

To be honest, I'd have to say that I grew up in the best years.  As children, we did not have "devices" to do our work for us.  We learned to do things, and to figure things out on our own.  We learned to write in cursive, not just to print.  We learned our math.  We did not have calculators to do this for us.  Most importantly, we learned to use our minds and brains.  We learned to be creative.  Libraries were at the top of our "best friends" list.

Enough for history.  Today I have photos of the plants that I re-potted a couple days ago.  The Bird Of Paradise plant will have to re-potted again to another, bigger pot in the Spring.  (This is the really tall plant in the photo)


I had picked up a new Amaryllis plant a month ago, and finally got around to potting it last week.  This one is pink and white, and is called "Apple Blossom."  I hope I'm here when it blossoms, and not a way on vacation.


A reader informs me that the Christmas Cactus plant likes to be pot bound in order to get lots of blossoms.  Thank you, I did not know this.  Now I see the mailman coming my way and he has a package for me.  It's time for me to get the mail and see what's inside that package.  Hopefully, it's my newest blog book.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

6 comments:

Steve Reed said...

The plants are looking good! I suspect most of us think we grew up in the best time, regardless of when we each grew up! We all feel at home in the era of our childhoods, don't you think?

Beth Reed said...

Hi,
I think that Steve is right. I grew up in a time that it was alright to play outside until dark thirty and beyond. We were allowed to be outside. Every once in a while my parents or one of the other parents would call out and it would be a chorus line as all of us kids would answer back to let the parents know we were alright.
A I really miss the simpler times.

Oh my how gorgeous your plants are. I really want to get back into gardening and so many other things. I am like you with the energy levels. I just don't seem to do well in the gray cloudy and gloomy days of winter but I can't complain because we have had such gorgeous weather here this winter. Very few days of gloom and very few days of freezing weather.

I have tons of things I have to get done today. Especially phone calls and I need to get this done before I run out of energy. I am home from the hospital. I am just trying to get settled back into my routine. I will call you later on this evening. Hugs and Love, xxxx

Barbara said...

I, too, hope you get to see your Amaryllis blooming. In our previous house, the former owners had planted an Amaryllis in a very large pot in the front flower bed. It bloomed for us two years in a row with extremely little attention from me except to admire it. At first I didn't know what it was but my guess was Amaryllis. I wrote to the former owner to ask and she confirmed that yes, that's what it was.

When we sold that house last winter, I left the Amaryllis there for the next owners to enjoy. We drove past that house last month during a trip to that city and I saw that the entire pot had been removed. So I guess that was the end of that.

Theresa said...

Oh yes, times have certainly changed from when I was growing up. I have Christmas cactus and they are in pots and bloom every year. The bird of paradise is one of the plants I remember from visiting Hawaii. Beautiful. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yes things have certainly changed so much, Edna, and not always for the better. You have a green thumb and sadly I do not.

Mary Ann Roesler said...

Gene feeds our Christmas cactuses coffee. He also regularly fertilizes them. They bloom about Thanksgiving and are budding now which is too early for Easter but we had such a warm Jan. until this week.