Thursday, May 12, 2016

Things Are Looking Really Green Here

May 12, 2016

Good morning.  It's another gorgeous day here in New England.  As I look out my door each morning, I see all the beautiful little green leaves on the maple trees out front.  Today all the leaves are almost full grown.  There's something very special about seeing all this Spring Green everywhere.

Well yesterday was quite a busy day.  SIL Eddie and his friend Cliff stopped by Home Depot Garden Center and picked up a dozen of the shrubs that I had picked out the day before.  Then they brought them here and proceeded to clean up out front and plant all the new shrubs. 

 
The shrubs are called "Thuja occidentalis "Smaragd"  (Emerald Green Arborvitae).  They can grow ten to fifteen feet tall and three to four feet wide.  Hopefully, this will give me back the privacy we once had here.  Here's a photo of Cliff planting one of the shrubs. 
 
 
While the guys were working out front, the mailman came by.  He mentioned that a couple of low hanging branches from our trees were low enough to brush against his truck when he pulled up to the sidewalk.  So Eddie got our saw and cut away all the low hanging branches.  Here's a photo of Eddie working with the tree saw.
 
 
Eddie helped me set up Pogo's play yard so that my little guy could stay outside and watch everything and still be safe. 
 
 
Next time Pogo goes in his play yard, I'll put one of his blankets in there along with his water bowl.  I can sit on the bench behind him and crochet or read a book while we take in a lot of fresh air.
 
Eddie and Cliff are back here working in the yard now, so I need to get dressed.  As soon as I show them where the new plants are going, the guys will plant them for me.  So, on that note I'll take my leave.  Till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.
 
Hugs, Edna B.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh My Gosh Edna,

I love your shrubs, it really makes me miss all of my gardening. They will offer you a lot of privacy. They are just beautiful. And so good of Eddie and his friend to come and do this for you. I love Pogo's play yard. How fun for him to be able to be outside and can oversee everything going on!

Cisco and I have nothing planned for today. We have a free day. I bought a new book and started reading it and then realized that it is part of a series. Book 5 in a 7 book series. It did not say so on the cover, so now I need to hunt down the rest of the books and read them in order before I get to this one. I know that they will not accept the book back so I am stuck with it.

I will let you go for now. Have a beautiful sunshiny day. As for us, well it is gray and over cast with chances of rain. I think that I will take my coffee out and sit on the patio. Hugs to you and Pogo. Love, Beth and Cisco.

smiekeltje said...

Those Thuja's are lovely. And they are rather easy to hold under control. They can supoort firm pruning, if growing to big and such.
Don't forget to water them enough inm the beginning, probably each day or every other day(depending a bit the weather) to give them a good start.
wonderful that Eddie and his mate are doing this planting for you!
Pogo's playyard is a wonderful thing. In this way he can keep an eye on everything.
Have a lovely day.
Hug
Kyra

The Queen Jester said...

The arbor vitae are fast growing, so you should have privacy in no time as long as you don't have any problem with deer. They love munching on those kind.

I had to smile seeing Pogo in his little tent. My mission is to get everybody to buy one of these for their loved ones. It gives the pet so much freedom and yet with safety...unless your name is Gracie Houdini. However, she has failed to break out in a long time. I think she's so satisfied with coming and going as she pleases out the window.