Friday, October 23, 2015

Cancelling My New Door, Boo Hoo!

October 23, 2015

Good morning on this chilly, but sunny, morning.   Today we'll only be getting up into the low 50's, and tonight will drop down into the 30's.  Brrr!  Although, I have to say that this is a lot better than some of the wicked weather that other parts of the country are enduring. 

I've been watching the Weather Channel's coverage of  Hurricane Patricia.  They are saying this is the strongest hurricane on record.  What in the world is happening to our weather systems?  Every day we have flooding, fires and storms.  There seems to be no let up at all. 

Speaking of storms, Texas is being inundated with 12 to 18 inches of rain.  How are people supposed to be able to protect their families, pets, livestock and homes with flash flooding and 18 inches of rain?    It seems like when I was growing up, storms were events.  Now they are a way of life.

A couple days ago, a couple of guys from the window and door company were here to re-measure the door I'm replacing.  They brought up a good point that made me quite nervous.  They said that when they take off the outer storm door, they would not be able to put it back on after the new door was installed.  I asked why and was told that because they did not make the storm door, they did not know how to put it back on working properly.  What???????

This morning I called the company to ask if this was true and they said "unfortunately, yes."  So I cancelled the door.  I will have to figure out how to fix the existing door for now, and maybe in the Spring I can find someone else to install a new door. 

I still don't understand the "how comes" of this.  Not so long ago, I had a new exterior door installed in my living room, and it did not interfere with how my storm door worked.  And, it did not cost over two thousand dollars!!! 

Today I have a couple photos that I took a few days ago.  Our red and pink "knockout" roses are still blossoming (thank you!).  And, we have a tiny tree growing, and showing off its beautiful Fall colors.



This morning, several of our little birds have been peeking in my window.   I think they are asking me to have to birdbath cleaned out and re-filled with fresh water.  Joe says he will do this in a little while.  Shortly, I will take out some peanuts and bread for them.  I usually put a lot of this under my car so that they can eat in safety.  Plus, I'll put more peanuts in the squirrel feeder. 

Today, after I do a couple of mandatory household chores, I think I'll work on my crochet projects.  About another twenty rows will finish off the green afghan, and then I want to make a few more neck warmers and finish the baby cocoon and blanket.   Busy, busy, busy.

Well, that's about all the news for today.  So, till Sunday, Y'all be safe and have a fantabulous weekend. 

Edna B.

5 comments:

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You are right, our weather is changing ... it is called climate change and it is, in part, caused by fossil fuel use all over the world. We are slowly doing ourselves in and our kids won't have much of an earth to inherit if we don't wise up. Of course, since the fossil fuel industry owns our congress and they insist that "global warming" is a farce (because they don't want us to stop using their products and making billions of dollars for them.)and thus won't pass any legislation to curb the use of gas and oil and they are even getting government subsidies at tax payer expense and hardly pay any taxes ... Good Grief! What ever happened to logic, follow the science and pragmatism? All that matters now is getting rich and richer and richer while the rest of us struggle to survive. RANT!!!

I have to say, I am glad you canceled your door ... I have never heard of such a crock ... I am surprised they didn't try to tell you, you had to buy their storm door in order for it to work with the door. I would talk to the people who put in your other door ... Sorry, but I think you did the right thing.

I have been chasing my tail of late. Done very little with my blog. I do post when I can, but rarely go visiting like I used to. Always seem to be in a hurry to do something or go someplace. I am helping to teach a Raptor Handling class on Mondays for 8 weeks ... now you wouldn't think one day out of the week would be a big deal, but somehow, I am behind the eight ball the rest of the week, no matter how I try to cut it. My Dil had surgery on her leg two weeks ago and I am helping her get around as she is on crutches and can't drive. She had broken her leg as a child and it didn't heal properly so they rebroke it, set it with a surgical steel rod and now it is nice and straight. She will be walking on it again in about 5 weeks ... we are happy for her, but it is an ordeal to get through.

Izzi started back in her Agility skills class two weeks ago. There are only three of us in class and that makes it easier to adjust her courses so she can gradually get used to it again. We are starting her on only 4"jumps and hoops and we will monitor how she does. Hopefully we will be able to gradually add in more obstacles.She is loving it so I am glad we have made it back ... sure was a long hard summer.

I am on my Thailand diet ... yes, I will be going to Thailand in February to be at my son's Thai wedding for Mint's family. They married here on Valentines day and now they will have a Thai wedding on Valentines day over there ... so romantic. After the wedding they will take me and my travel buddy to many of their favorite places all over Thailand ... we will be there for two weeks. I am excited about it, but my poor FH is going to be in charge of the pets for two weeks in the winter weather. It is not going to be easy for him so I am hoping I can enlist some help at least with Izzi. She loves to be out in the cold and he doesn't tolerate the cold well. Oh well ... we will figure something out.

Glad to see you are doing well. I appreciate hearing form you even though I haven't been good about keeping in touch. I really can't believe it is almost the end of October ... Poor Pogo, won't be going out much when it gets cold. I hope this winder is a mild one ... we could use a weather break, right? Stay well, Edna and love to Pogo from Izzi ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

Nani said...

That's a shame about the door, and I mean they should be ashamed! I guess they could pt the storm door on if it was theirs? (nudge, nudge, ka-ching) Just ridiculous.

As far as the weather goes, what Andrea said! (The choir sings a big "amen.") Some of the climate change is natural, but we sure are doing a great job of ushering it in way quicker than natural.

I'm glad to hear that Pogo decided to eat a little of the dog food. Apparently it made the hamburger taste REALLY GOOD! hehe

Have a wonderful blogging day off!

Hugs, Nani

The Queen Jester said...

I'm also glad you cancelled the door. It sounded more like a "let us sell you something extra you don't need" trick to me.

Stacey said...

well that is a bummers about your door! hopefully you can find someone else in the spring!

smiekeltje said...

What a mess with the cancelling of the new door! But it still soundes strange to me that they couldn't replace the stormdoor. May be you are a lucky girl, and it gives you opportunity to search for another and may be one that will not be that expensive!

What a sweet little tree you have! Every time something like this happens, I think"oh yeah, sometimes little miracles still do happen"LOL!.

Have a lovely weekend, dear, keep safe and sound ROFL!
Hug
Kyra