Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Allergies Can Be Dreadful

October 20, 2015

Good morning.  My goodness, I almost slept the morning away.  During the night, sleep was patchy.  Finally around 4:15 a.m., I fell into a better sleep.  Pogo seemed to be having the same kind of night too. 

Today is cloudy with bits of sunshine, and a bit warmer.  The weather man says we will get up into the low 60's today and tomorrow.  This will feel wonderful.  These old bones are much happier when it's not cold. 

Yesterday, my order of kilt pins arrived, and now I have four neck warmers all done up and looking pretty.  The fifth one is almost finished, so I'll take photos when this one is done.  They work up quickly, and you can make two with one 7 oz. skein of yarn. 

I dug into my photo archives for a couple photos of my pink roses (from the rose tree).  This year, there are no blooms left on this rose tree.  Three years ago, it was covered with gorgeous blossoms on this date.  Here are two photos that I took on October 20, 2012.



Today, I need to make some serious progress on choosing the photos for next year's calendar.  I have a tendency to put some things off, thinking that there is plenty of time.  However, time seems to catch up with me, and now I have only a month left to get my calendar done. 

Two men from the company that is making my new exterior door just came by to make one last measurement so that the new door will be guaranteed to fit right when it arrives from the factory.  These guys don't seem too happy that I want my storm door put back on when they are finished installing the new door. 

They did not make the storm door, so they don't want to guarantee that they will put it back on right.  Hmmm, you can be sure I will be keeping a close eye on them when the time comes.  You do not remove something that you cannot put back.  They are supposed to be expert at what they do, so I expect the storm door to be put back on properly.

My daughter Deanne just called me to say that Kevin has the results from his allergy tests, and he is allergic to just about everything; everything outdoors, and cats and dust mites indoors.  Oh dear, this is not so good.  Kevin is very athletic, and is outdoors when he is not sleeping or in school. 

The treatments for this aren't looking so good either - special meds three times a day for the next few years (best, but not covered by insurance) or a shot every week for the next few years (this is covered by insurance).   Thank goodness, the doctor did not mention having Kevin live in a bubble. 

Well, tine is fleeing and it's getting close to lunch time.  Pogo has not been eating so good lately, and I need to make something tasty to tempt him.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Hope you got Pogo to eat something. Poor Kevin, that is horrible. I can't believe those are his only choices. I know he plays sports so this must be hard on him, and since he is an adult it doesn't look like he'll outgrow his allergies. Did they just get worse or did he have them as a child?

smiekeltje said...

Be sure to watch over the guys that place your new door that they replace the stormdoor! I think it is normal that when they have to remove something they also can place it back!
Gosh, not all to good news for Kevin there. So he will have to do with the shot every week that is covered by insurance, because I presume the other meds are just too expensive. Hopefully the shts do their work pretty much the same as the other meds.
But it is aweful for him, just as you say, he likes to be outside, specially for his sport and now he has to be careful. Hope he doesn;t have to give it up completely?

Perhaps you can take a little nap later today to catch up some sleep?

Have a lovely day, and Pogo will eat again, our pets have that soemtimes, that they seem to eat less than normal, but his appetite will come back.
Hugs
Kyra

The Queen Jester said...

My best wishes for Kevin in his allergy journey. At least he's done the testing and knows how to deal with it, that's a big part of the battle. Hopefully with age he'll outgrow some of them, as seems to be the case. Course then you seem to develop new ones to take they place. Sigh...it's always something.

Annesphamily said...

I have had allergies all my life. Primarily hayfever and after all the neurosurgery I had I tend to get sinus infections so easy, ugh! I tried shots, they were working but ins. denied it so we could not afford the cost which was about $150 a week for 6 months. we barely paid off that doctor in 5-6 months. Now I see the American Cancer Society is downplaying mammograms. On a morning show I heard a dr. say she disagreed with them! duh! My dad's mom and two of his sisters all survived breast cancer in a time when nothing was done other than cut off your breasts and go home! Th medical system and ins. companies and big pharm are killing us off! It is just greed. Argh..... I have poor eyesight and so do two of our girls and Jeremy so the cost of glasses and contacts etc. is huge. Hannah just paid over $500 for two pair of glasses and mine were nearly $900! I am grateful my hubby has the flex dollars but still you can not cover everything in a year.
I am going to take the advice of you and Pogo and take a little nap. I love be lazy in the rainy weather, reading and resting, and I have some soup to enjoy at lunch.
Have a great day.