Saturday, September 19, 2009

Not Very Good News For Today

September 19, 2009

Well folks, it's not a very good day so far. My bad news is devastating as far as my computer goes. It is on, and it is running, but not to anything I can use or see. It looks like the motherboard has taken a huge nose dive into no no land. Do I need to tell you how cranky and crabby I have been all morning?

I took the new stuff that I worked on yesterday and transferred it over to the computer last night. So bye, bye stuff!!!!! I had some great photos to share with you this morning, but they are on the sicko PC. However, the originals are still on my camera card, so I will re-crop them later and post them. That part I can do.

If it is the motherboard, then the whole computer has to be taken back to Best Buy, and they will send it back to the manufacturer to be fixed. However, there is no guarantee that all my files will be in tact when the PC gets back to me a couple of weeks later.

They have a Geek Squad (PC technicians) at Best Buy, and the one I spoke to informed me that one alternative I have is to buy a hard drive enclosure, take my hard drive out of the computer, and put the hard drive into the enclosure. Then I can still use my files on my laptop or my old computer. (I still have that) Sounds good? I sure hope it does work, because that is what I think I am going to do.

The thought of losing all my files again is enough to bring on massive migraines. As far as I know, everything is backed up onto an external drive. But I guess the only way any of it can be used is to put it into another computer and then of course, a lot of the files will still be scrambled. I can't stand anymore of this techie crap. I thought a back up was a back up of your actual files. Now I guess I don't know any more.

You want to hear another sad story? Two or three years ago, when I was backing my other computer up onto an external drive, the stupid external drive crashed with all my stuff on it. So I ask you, at what point is your stuff safe?

I told the Geek Squad about the trouble I have with Vista not getting along with Hewlett Packard and Micro Trend PC cillin, and all the money I have spent trying to keep the peace between these three nasty little kids. The technician told me that Windows 7 will be out next month, and that if I chose to end up with a brand new PC, I might want to wait till then, and get one with the new Windows 7. He said it is supposed to be much better than Vista.

Either way, my computer does have to be sent back to the manufacturer to be fixed. I will now have to decide whether or not I want to keep it, or just bite the big one and get a new one after next month. What I really want to do is have a good cry for myself. On the other hand, that isn't going to solve anything either.

So, now that I have driven Wayne, the Geek Squad guy, and everybody around me crazy, I am going to make myself a cup of coffee, and do some laundry. I will think positive thoughts (I will try, anyway), and hopefully the computer gods will be kind and smile on me and my computer. I can't make this a Sam Adams day because I have to go to work tonight. Some days, I am so damn lucky!!! (actually, I am lucky because I HAVE a job and a lot of folks don't.)

It's time to start counting my blessings, and go from there. Once I make my coffee, I will start cooking the haddock fillets for supper. I may or may not be on tomorrow. As long as my mood stays up, I will use my laptop to post. Meanwhile, I wish y'all a great day.

Hugs, Edna B.

ps. Thank goodness for email and great kids!! I had emailed two of my photos to Audrey last night, and just now, she emailed them back to me on my laptop so that I could share them here on the post. Bless you Audrey, and thank you.

These photos were taken yesterday in the back yard at work. I saw a very interesting little butterfly flitting around the butterfly bushes so I took my camera outside and tried to get some neat photos. These are two of my favorites. Look at the interesting colors and patterns on this one tiny little creature. Enjoy, hugs, Edna B.



1 comment:

Snowy said...

Oh no , Edna !!!! That is unbelievable- it was a brandnew PC !! Have you got no insurance on it? No guaranty anymore?
This sucks !!! If you have to buy a new one go for Packard Bell or Acer - never had bad luck with those yet.It's good that you still have the old one at least, but still.... Beautiful photos again though. Hugs Snowy