Wednesday, April 26, 2017

A Little Knowlege Is Good For The Soul

April 26, 2017

Good morning.  Tis another wet day here in New England.  But the weather man promises us some sunshine and warmer temps once this patch of rain has passed later today.  We're supposed to have a really super weekend weather wise. 

Well, yesterday was a non-busy day.  I paid a bunch of bills, and that's about it.  I did go out into the main house and chat a bit with a couple of the dwarfs.  I even watered all my plants that are out there.  So, I guess that counts for something.

Do any of you get the magazine "Smithsonian"?  Another thing that I did yesterday was to read the May issue of this wonderful magazine.  One really interesting article called "Wet And Wild" was all about the history of New York's waterfront.  I never realized that New York City is really a collection of islands, and that it has over 520 miles of coastline.  New York Harbor also used to be the busiest in the world.  Yup, very interesting reading.

I also learned the difference between horns and antlers.  Do you know the difference?  Huh?  Huh?  Like me, you probably didn't even know that there was a difference.  Well, horns consist of bones encased in keratin.  They are generally permanent, and won't regrow if they are damaged or removed.  Antlers consist of bone covered by living skin known as "velvet", and they will regrow after they fall off (which they do seasonally).  Now you know!!

My purple tulips are still blooming, and I must say they are simply gorgeous.  Here's a photo of them opening their petals wide to enjoy the sunshine (the other day).


I also took photos of some of the petals that fell off the parrot tulip plant.  Their colors are intriguing and really beautiful.  This photo could almost pass for some sort of art that could be hung on a wall.  Don't you agree?  By the way, the parrot tulip has a new stem with a bud growing.  Woo Hoo!!


Well, I started late today, and now it is almost lunch time again.  I think I'll have a big salad today.  Nothing fancy, just lettuce, tomatoes, ham and cheese.  And, of course, a speck of dressing.  DIL Janet might be coming by later, so I need to think about what to cook for our supper. I'm thinking maybe raviolis and spaghetti sauce.  Hmmm.

On that happy note, I'll take my leave.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Edna,
Very informative article on New York's Harbor and coast line. I think that I would enjoy reading that.
Your tulips are just beautiful and so was the photo of the fallen parrot tulip leaves. I am so very pleased that it has a new bud!

I am very tired today. We had my brothers funeral yesterday. I will update my blog today or tomorrow. Right now I just got home from my doctors appointment which I had Jonathan to go with me. He found out a lot of interesting things about diabetes that I have been telling him for years. He was crestfallen at the lack of pasta, corn, potatoes and cornbread.
But she informed him that he is at a high risk of developing the disease as well so I am sure that he will be more conscientious at the grocery store. That was my intention to get everyone educated and to develop a healthier lifestyle.

They want me to cut out my naps or to set an alarm for 45 minutes maximum and no matter what I need to be in bed at 10:00 pm and up by 7:00 every day. This is going to be a hard habit change but I am going to give it a shot and see what happens.

I will close for now. Yesterday was a very hard day and all catching up with me. I will talk to you soon. Love Beth and Cisco xxx