Thursday, July 7, 2016

It's Beginning To Look Like A Porch

July 7, 2016

Good morning.  I do believe it's going to be another sticky warm day.  Although, the weather report says it won't be as sizzling as yesterday was.  Well, at least that's good. 

This morning, grandson Kevin will be here to pick up Pogo and me, and we're going to visit with Aunt Lucy.  She was mentioning a while ago that she would like a new address book.  I found a really nice one on Amazon for her that I will bring with me today.  It has large print and a bigger space to write the names and addresses on.  I hope she likes it. 

Well, yesterday the workers showed up around 7:15 a.m. to work on the porch.  I went out to the bank and to do a couple errands around 10 a.m. and told the men that I would be back in a couple hours.  I got back a few minutes after 12 noon, and they had already packed up and gone home.  I have yet to see these guys work an eight hour day. 

However, most of the framing on the porch is done.  Now I will pick up a wood sealer, and hopefully get it on all the wood and dried before Monday.  Hmmm, maybe Joe will help me with this.  Here's a photo of the progress on the porch.

All our tiger lilies are starting to bloom now.  Gosh, I love all the gorgeous orange color.  It's so cheery and welcoming.

While I was out yesterday, I picked up a few more things for the porch.  I found a cute little "Welcome" sign to put over the open stairway, and a couple of comfortable chairs to sit on.  I also found a wonderful welcome mat with doggie paws all over it.  I even picked up a couple small plants to put on the top of the  railing.  Next, I think I'd like to get a grass carpet for the floor.  Am I having  fun?  Why, yes I am!!

The rest of the day, Pogo and I stayed indoors in front of the fans, trying to keep cool.  Every now and then I would put the A/C on to cool the room down.  I don't leave it on for very long, because I don't want to get sick.  The last time I sat too long in a room with the A/C going, I got a bad cold that turned to pneumonia.  My daughter Audrey has the same problem with the A/C. 

Enough of my babbling.  I have another quick page for you.  This one features a lovely waterfall.  Oh my, wouldn't I like to be sitting near that waterfall right now!!  Enjoy.

Here is your download link:
Now it's time for me to get dressed so that I'll be ready when Kevin gets here.  I'm looking forward to this visit.  So, till tomorrow, Y' all have a magnificent day.
Hugs, Edna B.


LV said...

The rate your workers are going, it will be awhile before you can enjoy your porch.

Unknown said...

Hi Edna,
The porch is coming along nicely. I know that it is frustrating for the crew to just work a few hours and then leave, but unfortunately this is how contractors work. They have so many jobs contracted and say for example they are laying tile or putting on texture at one place and it has to dry for 24 hours before they can go back and sand the walls or seal the grout, they would be sitting all those hours and not working at all, so they go to one job and do x amount of work while waiting for time to go back to a job started before yours. That way they are working as many hours as possible. If a contractor just does porches then they would put their full team on it and be done as soon as possible.
I know that it doesn't sound time producing but the main concern for the contractor is to have all of his crew working to get as much finished as they can so they can get the jobs done and get the final pay to pay the employees. It doesn't seem fair but most of the contractors I have ever worked with does this. To be fair most contractors try and get the smaller jobs done as fast as possible. So I am assuming that your contractor does not have a very large crew and tries to schedule as much work as possible in an allotted time. Still I understand that if they worked straight 8 hours a day then your porch would be finished by now.

I am sure that your Aunt Lucy will be delighted with her new address book. Speaking of which I really need to start a new one. So many people have moved and I need to either update that information or start over with a fresh book.

I have to go. I didn't sleep at all last night. Up until dawn this morning and just grabbed a few hours and we have a fire safety inspection today so I need to make sure that a few things are done before they get here.
Much love to you and Pogo. Have a great visit with Kevin and your Aunt Lucy. Cisco sends greetings! Love Beth and Cisco

Snowy said...

That new porch is looking great ! It will be lovely to sit outside there for you :)
Hugs Snowy

The Queen Jester said...

I'm loving the looks of this porch. You were smart to have it wrap around the side of the house to provide more options for sun or shade. You just keep having fun getting it all decked out (pun intended)!

Scarette said...

You have a lovely place and your new porch is very inviting.!