Monday, September 3, 2012

Blue Moon Trivia

September 3, 2012

Good morning.  Well, the Blue Moon is gone.  This morning is quite foggy, and the sky is all gray.  Do you know why this moon is called the Blue Moon?  I looked it up, and there are two definitions.  One is that it is the third of four full moons in a season, and more popularly, it is the second full moon in a single month. 

The first full moon in August was on the first, so the full moon on the 31st was the Blue Moon.  In 1999, there were two full moons in January and two full moons in March, with no full moon in February.  So, both January and March had Blue moons.  (This is not the norm)  The next year of double Blue Moons is coming in 2018.  By the popular definition, the next Blue Moon will be on August 21, 2013.

As I mentioned earlier, today has started off quite foggy.  On my way home from work, I stopped by the dairy farm to maybe get some photos of the cows, but the whole pasture was fogged in.


In one town, I go over a railroad crossing.  This is usually pretty safe.  However, lately the gates that drop down when a train is coming have not been working properly.  Some days, cars sit patiently waiting for the gates to lift (when there is no train at all), and some days the gates go up and down, only letting one car scoot across the tracks.  Then again, some days the gates work properly.  This morning, they were working fine.  Thank goodness, because with the fog, it could have been an accident waiting to happen.


One pretty place that I pass on my way to and from work is a cemetery.  There are some beautiful memorials here, and this morning I was able to get a pretty "foggy" photo.  Another day, I'll get another photo when the sun is shining.


I could have Photoshopped these pictures and removed a lot of the fogginess, but I didn't because this is exactly how they looked to the naked eye.  I took some other photos over the last few days to share, but I'll save them for the upcoming days.  We are expecting a few very wet days starting tomorrow.

I do have one picture for Mandarin Orange Monday.  This is a butterfly photo from last week.  I cropped the photo cleaned up the background, and applied the "grain" filter from Photoshop over it.  If you like photos, do visit the site and have a look.  You'll be pleasantly surprised.


Now I'm going to make some breakfast.  Pogo has already been fed.  This little guy looks forward to having his breakfast every morning.  He dances all around where his bowl will be once I get it ready.  And if I'm not quick enough, he gives me a couple of woofs to get me moving quicker.  Right now, though, he's curled up next to me.  His tummy is full and he's probably dreaming about what's for lunch.  lol.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B.

8 comments:

Roan said...

I love taking pictures in the fog. These are beautiful. Love the fence.

The Queen Jester said...

That butterfly photo is simply stunning! I love the effect of the grain on it. It looks more like a fine art painting.
I also love the effect of the fog. Maybe it's the softness that fog gives to real life - it makes things a bit less harsh and more dreamy.

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

Lovely "foggy" photos, the butterfly is gorgeous too! Hope you have a stellar week ahead! hugs!!

Rosemary Aubut said...

I love the fog as well! Great images and the butterful just beautiful!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I got up to fog this morning as well. The sun rise was mind boggling and my camera was at the agility trial so I had to just sit back and enjoy it for myself ... I hate it when that happens :(

Your Butterfly turned out perfect. I love the effect of your editing ... you are good!

I know that Pogo dance ... I have an Izzi dancer as well. Food is the highlight of her day and she is a master at conning me out of treats. Have to be careful of the weight though ... not good for an active dog to be carrying extra pounds.

Enjoyed your information on the blue moon ... I was hoping it would be something more romantic ... Remember the song "Blue Moon". I do so that surely dates me :) Hope you had a wonderful Labor Day weekend Edna ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Chubskulit Rose said...

Love that last image.


Visiting from Mandarin Orange Monday.

My Orange post is about a Frowning Tomato. Come and see. Have a great week ahead!

smiekeltje said...

You should expect that this railroad crossing had been "repaired". It is a dangerous situation with the gates nt working properly.
Foggy pictures can be very pretty. Perhaps you should go to the cemetery another time when it's foggy and a bit darker, could give you some awesome pictures for Halloween!
Do you dance together with Pogo, LOL?
Have a great day
Hug
Kyra

lorik said...

Edna you did a lovely job on that photo - it really is beautiful the way the butterfly patterns and colours stand out against the soft background - also the contrast of purple. I love purple and orange together! Those butterfly wings look almost like they are drawn or painted!
And I do hope Pogo is better by now. My grand son was sick yesterday - i was so worried- but today he is absolutely back to normal! Hope that is the case with Pogo.
Thanks for joining in on Mandarin Orange Monday and for the nice words.