Monday, September 5, 2016

HAPPY LABOR DAY

September 5, 2016

Good morning.  Tis cloudy this morning, but oh how wonderful the cool air feels.  We still have a couple more days with temps in the 70's (I hope) and I'm just loving it.  The only way today could be nicer would be if it rained a bit.  But we might be getting a bit of rain later this week.

Today, Labor Day, is a federal holiday since 1894 and celebrated on the first Monday in September.  It honors the American labor movement and the contributions that workers have made to the  strength, prosperity, and well-being of the country.  Canada's Labour Day is also celebrated on the first Monday of September.

The only part of this holiday that I don't understand is why folks call it (and celebrate it as) the end of summer.  It is not the end of summer.   Summer does not end until September 21.  These last weeks will have super weather, and help us to transition to the next season.  We shouldn't be dismissing these couple weeks.  We should be enjoying them.  Remember folks, the cold weather comes soon enough and seems to last forever.

I have a couple photos to share that I took of my Pogo a few days ago right after his bath.  Before his hair dries, it's a mass of curls.  Isn't he just the cutest little guy?  Even with wet hair, he's adorable.



Yesterday, I took some photos of a new bloom on the white rose bush.  This one almost looks like a peony when it blossoms.


I also took some photos of a little plant that I bought a couple months ago.  It was only half as tall as it is now, and it came with an adorable little dragon planter.  Pretty soon though, I'm going to have to re-pot it because it is quickly outgrowing this little planter.



I'm trying to remember what it was that I did yesterday that took up my whole day.  Unfortunately, I can't think of anything.  How is that??  I know I spent a couple hours playing in Photoshop on my laptop, but past that I guess I didn't really do much of anything.  Well, I played with Pogo, and we both had ourselves a nice little nap.  Funny how these fun things take up my whole day.

Today I don't have any plans.  I'm thinking maybe I'll work on my afghan for a while and watch a bit of TV.  Who knows, maybe I'll even chase a few dust bunnies around.  Seems I get more done when I don't have any special plans.  We'll just see what the day brings. 

As I look out the door, I can see that the wind has picked up quite a bit.  The storm "Hermine" is supposed to be kicking up the winds around this part of the country for a few days before heading back out to sea. 

Now I'm off to find some fun mischief to get into.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous and Happy Labor Day.

Hugs, Edna B.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Edna,

Happy Labor Day to you. We don't have any special plans either. Just hanging out and Jonathan is supposed to help me vacuum my room today. In fact the whole apartment gets a good floor cleaning.

I love the photos of Pogo. He is just so cute and he even looked at you for the camera! Your bamboo is gorgeous. I am thinking of one for my desk here at my computer. I love Bamboo. When I lived in Arkansas we had it growing wild and was constantly having to cut it back and dig it up because in the wild it doesn't stop spreading and some of ours was over 5 feet tall.

Funny how they say that Labor Day ends summer. I guess it is supposed to mean the end of summer as the kids go back to school. I guess that the days spent in class makes it more difficult for families to plan outings after they are back in school. I don't understand the fashion rule that says not to wear white after Labor Day. I guess that rule doesn't really apply to us much these days. I mean if you can wear pajamas to the grocery store what does it matter if you wear white lol.

I guess that I will close and go and get dressed. You have an awesome day! Take care and enjoy the cooler weather! Love Beth and Cisco