Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Beautiful, Perfect Morning

August 14, 2014

Good morning.  The sun is shining and there's a beautiful cool breeze coming in through the screen door.  Yesterday's rain caused some flooding in places around the state, but not in our area.  Our lawns and gardens got some much needed rain, and the birds enjoyed the puddles.  It's a beautiful, perfect morning.

Yesterday I got an email telling me that my box of new yarn will not be arriving until late Friday.  So, last night I worked on a scarf that I had been knitting.  There's only a few rows left to finish it, so I think I'll do that later today. 

I've been watching the Weather Channel, and they were interviewing someone in Arizona about the monsoon flooding, and why they don't try to capture some of the rain water.  The argument seems to be that it is too expensive and they can only capture a tiny bit of the water. 

I don't understand this.  My idea of a water pipeline was not so that the water could be purified for drinking.  It was so that the excess rain water could be re-routed to dry areas that need the water to help stop drought.  I'm sure our farmlands and woodlands could use the excess water and be thankful for it.

Let's talk about the expense.  Expensive?  Yes.  How many dollars has the drought's devastation cost?  How many homes, lives, woodlands and wildlife has it cost?  It seems to me that our losses outweigh the cost.  And the losses keep on happening day after day, month after month, year after year.  Our government thinks nothing of sending billions of dollars to anywhere around the world that might need or want it.  So how about spending it instead on our own problems? 

Stored up rain water could also be used for washing vehicles, machinery and buildings, etc, instead of using drinking water for these things.  I suppose we could always figure a way to de-salt some of the ocean water to be used for things other than drinking water.  California is getting very low on water.  So now I'll be watching the news to see how they propose to fix their water problem. 

'Nuff said.  Today I have a couple of photos of the lighthouse at Scituate harbor.  These were taken from where we were sitting on the rocks.  As you can see, we were right in front of it.



I also have a photo of all of us that was taken by a nice lady sitting on the rock next to ours.   Here is, left to right, dwarf Helen, her son in law, daughter, granddaughter, Pogo, and moi.


Well that's it for this morning.  I need to get a few things done around the house before it's time to head out to do errands.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

No comments: