Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A New Beginning With New Learning

September 19. 2012

Good afternoon.  During the night, I just could not sleep so I got up and did a bit of blog reading.  By 6:45 a.m. I was ready to try for sleep again.   But first, I took Pogo out for his sprinkle.   Unfortunately, this means that I will be sleeping late.  It does not matter though, because there is no rush on for today.

Well, last night Janet and I went to our first camera club meeting.  It was very interesting to say the least.  We watched a slide show on photographing Fall foliage.  There was another slide show on Tuscany. Italy, but it was running late and we had to leave before this second show came on.

I did learn a couple of interesting things from the first slide show.  First, when photographing the foliage, you don't necessarily need to focus on the foliage.  You can use the foliage as a backdrop for a different focus.  This can make some very pretty photographs.

Second, I learned that Nikon cameras tend to produce really hot colors and you have to tone them down quite a bit when you do your editing.  At least this is what our featured photographer speaker found to be true about his Nikon.  (Mine is a Canon)

The club does have several competitions, and this is what I am interested in.  Actually, they have a competition coming up but the deadline for entries in tomorrow night at midnight.  I don't think I have enough time to enter any photos.  Today, I will try  to contact one of the members to see if I can maybe enter at least one photo.

I will say one thing, these folks at the camera club do a lot of traveling.  There's an upcoming cruise to Bermuda, a trip to Italy next month, yada yada.  The traveling sounds nice, but I'm not ready for any of that.  I would like some short trips to the surrounding states, so I will watch for these little trips.

One of the things that was mentioned at the meeting was Portfolio Project.  The photos for this project are taken over several months, and presented as a cohesive portfolio.  The purpose of this, I assume, is to showcase the photographers chosen field of interest.  I happen to prefer shooting photos of nature, but will, of course, photograph anything else that that interests me.  I definitely think I would like to try this project.

Today, I have a couple of photos to share that I took at work.  This first photo is one of the Mrs' roses that is frosted with morning dew.  The second photo shows a golden finch enjoying a tasty snack on the black eyed susans by the side of road.



Now I have a few things to do around here.  After all, if I want to play I must do a little housework in between.  lol.  Till tomorrow, Y'all have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B.

5 comments:

smiekeltje said...

Sounds you enjoyed yourself rather well at the club! Hmmmm, those travels sound great, but who has time and money to make them all LOL?
Portfolio seems to be a good idea. I think it is a necessity for those who want to sell here and there a picture, e.g. to a magazine or so.
Sleeping a bit later into the day? Who cares. As long as you have enoughhours sleep. You'll have to catch up if during the night you wake up.
Have a nice day, take it easy!
Hug
Kyra

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Well, it sounds like the photo club is going to work for you. You seem to have a choice as to what you want to participate in and you're are already getting some good guidance. Should be fun. I am not big on competitions ... I guess it depends on who is judging and who I am competing with. The big competitions I would be competing against professionals, which I am not, so that is a waste of my time. The local ones, I have found, too often, that the winners tend to be somebody's neice or neighbor. Like I said, it makes a difference who is judging. But, in a camera club, there are probably more than one person picking the winners so that sounds like fun with possibilities ... especially for you. You take some awesome pictures.

I am waiting to be picked up then I am off for four days ... See you next week, Edna. Hope your weekend in wonderful, having Saturday off and all. I do worry a little about you working 20 hours when you already have a cold ... "over tired" is not the prescription for getting well. Fingers crossed ... :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

NatureFootstep said...

great shots and I like that little birdie. :)

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

Sounds like an interesting time at your camera club. Hope you get to showcase some of your beautiful photos! Love the rose and the bird on the BESusan is gorgeous. You and Pogp have a great day! Hugs!!

The Queen Jester said...

This sounds like a really fun club and I just know you're going to have a blast!