Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Close Call

June 2, 2011

Late yesterday afternoon and last night, Mother Nature had most of us New Englanders shaking in our boots.  A set of nasty tornadoes hit the western and central part of our state, and then proceeded on their way toward us.  We (at my house) are not exactly prepared for tornadoes, as they don't usually come up our way.  But I gathered up flashlights, and put all of Tootsie's and my meds in my purse.  If it got too close, we would all go down to the basement and pray.

Springfield and a few other towns and cities got quite a lot of damage, but we were spared.    Four persons were killed and quite a lot of  folks were injured,.  Thousands of trees were uprooted, automobiles were flung about, and homes and buildings were destroyed.  Several thousand folks lost electric power.  We mostly got a lot of rain, a bit of wind, thunder, and LOTS and LOTS of lightning.

Today, we have a gorgeous sunny, breezy day.  Except for a lot of leaves and petals on the ground, one would never know how close we all came to such destruction.  A neighbor across the street from me has a spectacular orange azalea bush in her front yard.  I was hoping to go over there today and take a few photos.  However, I'm a day late.  That beautiful bush lost most of it's petals during last nights rain.  Maybe next year.

A little while ago, I did go out and take photos of a couple of my flowers. Here is a gorgeous dark pink peony and a white rhododendron.



Once things quieted down last night, I worked on finishing up our June collab kit.  Now I just have to wrap it up and get it uploaded.  Su and I will begin posting our new kit beginning next Monday.  Nope, no hints!  You'll have to wait till Monday to see what it is.

Now I need to get busy around here.  Eddie is here putting in a new water spigot on the other side of the house, and he's putting the indoor shut off where it will be easy for me to get to.  I guess maybe I will make him some lunch.  Got to keep him happy.  My old house is very needy.

That's it for today.  Till tomorrow, Y'all have a magnificent day.

Hugs, Edna B.

4 comments:

Snowy said...

I watched the footage on the internet this morning and hoped all my friends across there in MA were safe.It looked scary just watching it on the monitor.So glad to hear everybody I know is ok. :)

smiekeltje said...

Heard on the news about some tornadoes in MA and it scared me.
I am soo glad you are all okay and escaped from it, just having lots of lightning and bushes and trees losing their petals.
Must have been scary to you too!
Now the weather has calmed down again in your area, lets hope it will stay that way.
Enjoy the good weather.
Hugs
Kyra

Nani said...

I'm so glad you are all okay! I was hoping I'd see a very recent post when I fird up the laptop. Thank you, Edna! :)

I'll comment some more when I get home, but yes, I felt a strong need to check up on you!

Hugs, Nani

seamhead gypsy said...

I know how you felt. A week ago we were minutes from taking refuge in pur basement. But the tornado broke apart about a mile from striking. Scary times to say the least.