August 21, 2017
Good morning. It's just gorgeous outside, even though it will be getting much warmer in a couple hours. When I finish posting here, I'll take my nebulizer meds out to the porch with me. My nebulizer machine died a couple days ago, so I've dug out my portable machine to use for now.
Well yesterday I finished the little red doll dress, and last evening I decided to sew the hook and eye sets on all the dresses. When I was at the craft store, I was buying a spool of every color thread to match each of the dresses. This seemed to be a bit much so I asked the saleswoman if I should buy the invisible thread instead. This way I could use it for all the dresses. The woman assured me that this would be best. So I bought the invisible thread and happily made my way home.
Folks, if you have even just a teeny tiny brain in your head DO NOT try using invisible thread instead of the regular colored threads. It took me about fifteen or twenty minutes just to figure out how to find the end of the thread on the spool. The needles were in a new fangled circular thingy, and after a while I finally figured out how to get a needle out to use. (By now, I'm already getting frazzled!)
The fun began when I tried to thread the needle (even with a needle threader). I had to keep holding the whole thing up to the light to make sure there was actually thread on the needle. Once the needle was finally threaded, it was time to put a knot at the end of the thread. Oh yeah, how does one put a knot on thread that is invisible? I tried. I really did try. After a while I had to get a bit creative to figure out a way to get that invisible thread knotted. Yeaaaah! Success!
Next I got out a tiny eye and hook set and attempted to sew it on to the little red dress. It's bad enough that the thread is invisible, but my fat little fingers are just not nimble enough any more to be working with these tiny pieces. I managed to get the eye part sewed on, but by now I've decided not to use this thread, or the hook and eye sets. This is pure torture, and I'm almost sorry that I made the dresses to begin with.
It took a while, but I finally managed to clip the "eye part" from the dress without cutting any of the yarn. I've decided that if I have to, I'll sew the dresses onto the dolls. Gosh, why didn't I think of this before? DUH !!
Yesterday, I also ordered another batch of new yarn. There were some new scrumptious colors shown in the catalogue that I just could not resist. Beach Day, Rose Garden, Paradise Sunset and Cactus, just to name a few. I'm going to use some of them to make more dolly dresses. Problem is, the yarn won't be here for at least a week.
My hands need to be busy, so I picked up a skein of the new Honeysuckle yarn and started a new afghan. Here's a photo of the beginning of the new afghan. Below that is a photo of the little red dress while I was working on it.
I think later today, I'll try to figure out how to close the back of the doll dresses. This should keep me busy for a while. I'll have to order some more dolly parts, because I have just enough of them for the dresses that I've already made.
This sort of reminds me of when my kids were small. I used to crochet whole wardrobes for my girls' dolls. Oh yeah, I even sewed the hook and eye sets on the clothes that needed them. My fingers used to be tiny and thin and cute, and oh so nimble! Ahhhh, the good old days!
Well, I've chewed your ear off by now, so I think I'll take my leave. I have to watch for the mail truck because I have a bill that needs to be mailed. So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.
Hugs, Edna B.