Monday, January 26, 2015

We're Getting Ready For A Doozy Of A Storm!

January 26, 2015

Good morning.  Well, the snow is coming starting today, and it's coming with a vengeance.  It's bringing hurricane winds along with it.  The weather man sounds scary this morning when he says that it could dump from two to four inches of snow an hour for twenty four hours non-stop.  Now that is scary!!   Right now, we are looking at possibly two to three feet of snow for our area. 

As long as we have power, I'll be posting here.  If I'm not here, then you can assume that we've lost our electric power and I'll be back as soon as the power returns.  Personally, I would not be disappointed if the whole thing blew out to sea before it gets here.  That's my wimpy side showing!

They are saying on the Weather Channel that by noon today, all traffic in New York City is to be off the roads; and in Boston, we may have as late as 5 pm to get off the roads and stay off for 24 hours.  That's a great idea, but I'm sure there will be lots of folks ignoring these warnings.  Why, I don't know, but they always do.

We have food, water, blankets, flashlights, a snow blower that might not be much of a help if there is too much snow, and a generator in case of a power outage.  The only thing I haven't got so far is a plow to come in periodically to move some of the heavier snow out of the driveway.  I'll try to figure that one out this morning. 

Yesterday, I went looking at one of my backup drives to see if there was room on it for another backup, and I got side-tracked, naturally.  Therefore I did not get to work on a second page for my blog.  I will get to it, but right now there are more important things to attend to. 

I thought I might see about getting another delivery of fuel oil to make sure the tank is full, but so far no one seems to be answering the oil company's phone.  Maybe their lines are already down?  Hmmm.  Oh well, we have enough fuel for a while, but once the snow gets here it will be very difficult to get to the "fill" pipe.

As promised, here are the latest "word" photos.  The word for Day 24 was "Aquatic" so I took a photo of Joe's fish.  There is a pineapple house in the fishbowl, and the fish likes to stay inside the house a lot.


The word for Day 25 was "Flower" so I have a photo of daylilies from my garden.  (Obviously taken several months ago.  This being Monday, I thought the orange lilies most appropriate.

 
For today, Day 26, the word is "Towering", so I took a photo of our Amaryllis plant that is towering over the other plants on the plant table.
 
 
Beth sent in a photo for Day 19's word, "Water".  She took this photo of the rain drops that have landed on the fence rail.
 
 
If anyone else wants to join in with the "Word" photos, please do.  I'm getting into the habit of just shooting photos of everything and anything.  You never know when one of the photos will match a Day word.
 
Now I must get busy and see about hiring us a snow plow.  That's if there are any snow plows available.  Most of them are probably all booked already.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all be safe and have a great day.
 
Hugs, Edna B.

6 comments:

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I have been hearing on the news about your storm. Pretty scary stuff ... it sounds like you are well prepared so fingers crossed all goes well.

So what is the word game ... is it you or is it someone else who supplies the word for the day? I might be interested, but I usually avoid something that requires every day because I am not available every day.

The little one is still in the hospital and my son is beside himself. I have to admit, I am worried as well ... so a few little prayers might help.

I had a nice weekend with my Granddaughter ... she is a sweet kid and a hard worker. She spent a good part of the weekend doing homework ... Microbiology to be exact. They actually get their assignments on the computer and do most of the work and tests on the computer ... times sure have changed.

Well, I need to go down and see how she and her friend left my sons apartment :) And then put it back in order if it needs it. You be safe ... I will be thinking of you and watching the news on TV. Hugs to Pogo ... he can just cozy up in his little house and not worry about the snow ... lucky him, right? Be well, Edna ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

Nani said...

Best of luck i getting that plow reserved! We really got nothing as far as snow although we did get some wind and it's cold! But maybe since it stayed south of us it'll just stay south. (and more like rain or slush) Maybe? Mother Nature is a...not a lady!

Joe's fish in the pineapple house is neat and a great photo for "aquatic!" The raindrops on the lilies would make that photo qualify for "water" too. I love your flower photos with water drops!

Finish up what you need to do and get ready for a couple of days of crocheting, snuggling with Pogo and some nice hot coffee or cocoa.

Hugs, Nani

Debby said...

I don't like the scary forecast for all of you. I hope it isn't as bad. The big thing is to keep the power on. We only got a few inches and we are done for a couple of days.
I thought that was a picture of a pig with a smile on his face.

The Queen Jester said...

The storm coming sounds awful, but it appears you are more than ready to meet it head on.
The photo of the fish was very interesting, I never would have guessed this was something in the water it was so clear....nicely done.

smiekeltje said...

Glad you are all ready to hibernate if the snowstorm comes to your area. Hopefully it will forget your little place, but if not, I really hope it doesn;t stay too long lingering and that soon all trouble of the snow will be over. I guess, it will be hard to find a snowplough today!
Love that picture of joe's fish LOL!
Okay, stay out of trouble, grin, I hoe trouble stays away from you too, and that you will have no powerloss.
Hugs
Kyra

Annesphamily said...

Oh my goodness, I have been watching the news. You are surrounded in white stuff! Glad you are home and safe. That plow has to be a blessing too! We have had warm temps only to hear that snow is coming Friday! Silly weather! Please take care.