Monday, January 12, 2015

Storm Hektor Is Causing Wicked Icy Conditions

January 12, 2015

Good morning.  Yesterday I had a request for the slow cooker stuffed pepper recipe, so I posted it here.  Just look below this post if you would like the recipe.

It's not quite so cold this morning, mid 30's, with the promise of getting one or two degrees warmer later in the day.  We're also supposed to be getting a mix of snow and rain.  Tonight the temps will drop to around 20F so the rain will create an icy problem for a lot of folks.

Because of storm Hektor, 70 million people are under winter weather advisories.  13 million folks are right now under freezing rain advisories.  Incredible!!   If all of this wicked weather is part of the changing climate, then I'd say Mother Nature got us back really good! 

I really did not do much of anything yesterday.  At least nothing of importance was accomplished.  I did check the birdie's water bowl and replenish some of the water.  Except for one time, I don't ever see any of the birds at the water bowl.   Maybe more will use it when the weather gets warmer.  We'll see.

Remember a while back I said that I was making a lightweight ponco?  Well, I've been wearing it nights to ward off cold chills.  It keeps my shoulders and back warm.  I may have to make it a bit longer, and I still have to finish off the neckline, but it really has come in quite handy.

Last night, I worked a bit on the Sunshine yellow afghan, but my eyes get tired so I stopped after a while.  I do have an appointment coming up next Monday for an eye exam, and most likely a prescription for a new pair of eye glasses.  This should help my eyes get back to normal.

Today I have a few photos of an adorable little Tufted Titmouse enjoying the peanuts that I toss out for the birds and small critters.   These photos were taken through the kitchen window.




My enjoyment of our little birds has spread to all of the dwarfs.  Whenever any of them is in the kitchen, they spend a few minutes at the windows watching these fun little birds. 

I've been neglecting my kitchen/pantry project quite a bit lately but I think today I shall get back to it.  Also, yesterday I did not get to the store to pick up bird seed and maybe a small tree, so I'm hoping to do this maybe tomorrow.  Today's weather is too yucky to go out.

While I'm out tomorrow, I'll have to stop by the bank.  No matter what the weather brings, the bills must be paid.  Interesting, but paying bills is probably one of the few things that bad weather does not stop. 

Well, that's about all the news for this morning.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all try to stay warm and have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,

I love the stuffed pepper recipe that you shared. They are one of my favorite things to make although I have never made them in the slow cooker but plan to give them a place on next weeks meal menu.
I put on a pot of white navy beans on for supper tonight. I browned some bacon, garlic and onion together and added it to the pot of beans and letting it simmer now. I will make a pan of cornbread and my boys want my cabbage stirfry and it is so easy to make that I said ok.
Your afghan sounds so pretty in sunny yellow. I love anything sunny right now. It is just so cold outside.
I love the idea of doing nice things for people. I will give it a try. I do it all thru the year but it will be really nice to be more conscience of doing it that week. Great idea to share it.
I hope that you and Pogo are staying warm. Have a great evening. Beth

Edna B said...

I am so glad to hear that someone else does this all through the year. I get a great feeling when I'm helping someone less fortunate than me. To make someone smile makes my heart happy. Those beans sound heavenly! You have a wonderful evening. Hugs, Edna B.

Unknown said...

The beans turned out really delicious, but they were not as good as my mama's lol. She had that magic touch.
I lived alone for several years after the kids were grown up and they were born and raised in Texas. I had my right kidney removed in July and wanted to be closer to my kids and their families so I now share an apartment with my two sons. I really never cooked for just me. I lived off of easy meals and take outs but now that I am here I am getting back into cooking. I enjoy it and it gives me something to do other than all of my digital scrapbooking.

I don't drive anymore but I still do things for people around here that is helpful. I help the woman up stairs on 3rd floor carry up her groceries when she needs help. I walk her dog a couple of times a week and just little stuff.
A small act of kindness sure goes a long way.
Well it is after midnight. I am not resting well these days but I think that I will take my little dog Cisco and go and snuggle. Maybe I can fall asleep. Talk to you tomorrow... night nite.

smiekeltje said...

Brrrr, your weather doesn't look all too nice. If you can wait for a day or so, it may be will get a bit better to go out.
Here it isn;t nice neither, raining very hard, with wind blowing.
Did make a phonecall yesterday for volunteerwork, after it sent an email with cv, and now hoping to get soon an invitation for a little interview.
Today I must file some papers, so if necessary I can find them easily.
Love your photos of the little birdie!
Have a warm day inside dear.
Hugs
Kyra

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

Good Morning you two! Hope this finds you both warm and snug with all that wintery blast that is coming to your area. I think after today (or so the forecast says) we are going to see some more "normal" seasonal temps than this bitter cold. I am up for any kind of warming trend...I am tired of hibernating....LOL!
Been trying to play catch up on the blogs I so love to visit...
Love the thought of a bright yellow afghan, it has to bring the thought of sunshine to mind! Love the photos of your gorgeous Amaryllis too!
Trying to type with "nosy" Misty watching the cursor move is not fun...she is so curious and if I put her down, she just hops right back up here, she follows me everywhere. LOL...the joys of our fur babies...can't live without them!
The stuffed pepper recipe sounds good (except for the raisins), I may have to try it soon...will of course, have to cut the recipe in half! I made a pot of chili on Saturday and a large pan of cornbread....shared with a couple of neighbors during the games!
Well, off here for a bit of eye resting...change clothes from washer to dryer and maybe run a dustmop around to pickup the flying fur....ROFL! Chat more next time...have a marvelous week and stay as warm as possible especially keep that sweet Pogo warm! Hugs, Mat

Annesphamily said...

I love your photos. My son Jeremy made a batch of stuffed peppers for his lunch this week. He has a great recipe and it is healthier than the one I have had for years. I like the recipe you are sharing too. Always nice to have some choices. Hope you and Pogo are staying nice and warm indoors!