Friday, January 9, 2015

A Small Reprive From The Wicked Cold

January 9, 2015

Good morning.  Oh my, we're having a mini heat wave.  Temps during the night were around 15F degrees, and right now we are up to 23F degrees.  I can walk across the floor without my feet turning into popsicles!   (Wearing socks and slippers, of course.)

There's no cellar under my part of the house, so every bit of cold comes right up and chills the floor.  All but the kitchen and pantry are carpeted, but when it gets really cold the carpets can't keep the floors warm.

Today is supposed to get up to about 32F degrees, so Joe and I will do the food shopping today.  I can't really put it off because I'm running very low on several things.  I think I'll pick up the fixings for a corn chowder too.  This always tasted extra good in this wicked cold weather.

Yesterday, I finally covered the air conditioner with plastic.  There is a cover on the outside of it, but the cold still comes in.  Somehow, I missed one little spot where the cold comes in, so later I will check it again and fix this.  This year I chose to leave the AC in the window all winter because it will be there when I need later in the year.   I can't lift it in and out of the window, and this way I won't have to ask anyone to put it back in for me.  However, I will have to look around for a better outer cover for it.

Today I have another photo (taken with my phone) of our beautiful Amaryllis.  I changed the background to black to show off better how really pretty this plant is. 


I also have another cute photo of my handsome little fellow.  This photo was also taken with my phone.  I'm getting better at learning how to use this little camera.  Pogo is wearing one of his new Christmas sweaters.   At first I was thinking that maybe he had too many sweaters, but with all this wicked cold, the sweaters are a blessing.


On the Weather Channel, they are showing a mother and young daughter that have been evicted from their home in New York.  Right now they are at a shelter trying to keep warm.  I know business is business, but how can you evict someone in this wicked unhealthy cold?  Especially when there is a child involved? 

Also in the news, Mr. O in the White House is suggesting that two years of community college should be free for everyone.  Well, he hasn't yet defined the word "everyone".   I think free college for "citizens" is a great idea, but first we need to know how it will be paid for.  I'm sure Mr. O is not meaning "citizens" only. 

Right now, most of us who are working, or have an income, are struggling to pay for all the free medical and medical payment grants that are being given out.   I would love to see free college education for our children, but I think the public has a right to know how this will be paid for before it becomes law.  I know a lot of folks who already have to choose between their meds and their bills, and now their taxes are even higher because of the new health care law.  Add the free college to this and I wonder how many folks will still be able to keep a roof over their heads.

Mr. O, it's time to cut back on the billions of dollars you are giving away all over the world, and use this money to take care of our own citizens and the cost of all these wonderful new laws.  Nuff said.

Now I'm going into the kitchen and make myself a nice hot cup of coffee and some breakfast for Pogo.  So, till Sunday, Y'all try to stay warm and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi My name is Beth and I stumbled onto your blog via Kyra over at With a Russian/Dutch Heart.
I live in Texas. I was born and raised here and it has not been a favorite of mine but I recently moved to Austin to be closer to my kids and grandkids.
Just wanted to say hello and nice to meet you via your blog! Beth

The Queen Jester said...

The black background on the amaryllis really makes it pop - it looks like a photo that would be found in one of those big coffee table books.

Edna B said...

Beth, it's nice to meet you too. I love that foot jewelry. It's really quite pretty.

You have a great evening. Hugs, Edna B.

smiekeltje said...

Pogo looks awesome in his new sweater.
Here we still have daytemps around 8Cor even a bit higher, which is great for this time of year. Now only we have more rain and specially today there is a storm blowing. May be I find a moment it will be less, and then pop out to buy the newspaper. And hurry back home, sit in my fleece sweater and warm jogging trousers, and watch the skating.
Here too more and more people aren;t able to pay for the health security and other bills, and get into trouble. I wonder how much the government will cut back this year on their bidget, resulting in less money for all citizens.
You have a great shopping and then wonderful weekend, all warm and cozy.
Hug
Kyra

Mary Ann Roesler said...

Hi Edna, I enjoy reading your comments on the cold...but you should live in Wisconsin. It only hit wind chill at night between 20 and 35 below zero. That's a heat wave as this time last year we dipped to 56 below! Only 13 days till sunshine and NV! My does your phone ever take good photos from the TV...no moire at all. Enjoy your day...we need to venture to the grocery store today also as when it's that cold we only went out when needed. Gene's aunt died and the funeral was yesterday...you can't imagine how cold it was at the cemetery.