Sunday, November 23, 2014

It's Grandma's Day To Brag

November 23, 2014

Good morning.  It's cloudy this morning, but the temperature is much nicer.  It's in the mid 40's right now, headed for the mid 50's.  Tomorrow will be even nicer before it turns cooler again.  In a little while, the sun will be shining.  It's a good day to be out doing some errands.

These past couple of days have been busy around here.  Report cards came out and granddaughter Jasmine received High Honors, and grandson Kevin received Honors.  I am so proud of these two kids.  Then, Friday morning, Kevin received the John and Abigail Adams Scholarship Award at his high school. 



Then, Friday evening, Jasmine's Theatre group held a fundraiser event complete with entertainment.  All the members got dressed up, and our Jazzy looked just gorgeous!    Here she is with her proud Mom and Dad.


 
It's a Grandma's job to brag about her young 'uns, and I'm enjoying it.  I sure wish my Michael could be here to watch these two young folks growing up. 
 
In my travels around town, I notice that we still have quite a bit of beautiful Fall colors.  I took this shot through the windshield while parked by the bank downtown.   Even though I'm not so crazy about the colder temps, I do love the "coat of many colors" that Mother Nature wears this time of year.
 
 
Yesterday, I prepared my turkey, and put it into the oven to roast while I worked on a bit of crocheting.    Several hours later, after it had cooked and cooled a bit, I cut it all up.  First I made a plate for Pogo, then a turkey salad for moi.  Then I put a few portions into freezer bags for later, and gave the carcass with meat still on (plus legs and wings) to Joe.  He finished plucking the rest of the meat from the bird. 
 
I have to tell you that Mr. Pogo was not, and still is not, happy with his plate of turkey.  He gave it a sniff last night when I gave it to him and then walked away.  I put the plate in the fridge and saved it for his breakfast this morning.  Again, he gave it a quick sniff and turned his little nose up at it.  I guess he's not going to eat turkey unless it is in a little snack bag and Joe feeds it to him.  Yeesh!  What a picky kid!!  (My salad was DELICIOUS!!!)
 
I'm not going to go on a political rant about all the snow that has fallen in New York and the problems it has been creating, but I have to wonder why so much time is spent in the news about what to do about getting rid of all the snow.  With so many areas of our country still in sever drought, why hasn't any of the snow been dumped into open cars on freight trains and shipped to these drier areas? 
 
Wouldn't this idea cost less in human misery and money?  And what about the rain that is going to be falling on top of all that snow, causing mucho flooding?   If most of the snow had been carted away by train, the rains would not be such a problem.  (Think how happy a lot of farmers would have been to have all that snow watering their land.)  I really think my brain was born before it's time. 
 
Well, now I'm going to have me another cup of coffee and do a bit of blog reading.  Till tomorrow, Y'all have a wonderful day and stay warm.
 
Hugs, Edna B.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

great accomplishments for your grands. You have a beautiful family. Great idea about the snow. Im sure empty cargo trucks and shipping crates heading back west could do that.
Pogo needs to hang out with Izzy. Poor girl will eat anything even lint.
Hugs

Debby said...

Why am I showing up as anoymous. It's me Debby from Cozy Blanket.

smiekeltje said...

Comliments to Kevin and jasmine!
and you are right to brag about them LOL!
Hmm, Pogo really knows how and what he likes to eat. well, best thing is to give his plate with turkey to Joe, let him give it to Pogo and see what happens.
Have a great day and some rest after that turkey plucking, hahaha.
Hug
Kyra

Annesphamily said...

Edna I like that snow idea! Send it where it is needed! Good thinking! I have a cousin close to Buffalo but my favorite story of Buffalo, NY concerns my daughter Noelle's friend Julie. She moved up there several ago stating, when the cold weather came, "No one told me it was cold and snowy here." I guess she missed 4th Geography where I learned how close to Canada New York is! HaHaHaHa! I am so impressed by those beautiful grandkids. Wow! You must be so very proud! Hard work pays off well doesn't it? I am silly, watching the Looney Tunes cartoon with the dogs. LOL, now Mr. Kitty came over here to get into the middle of things. Only Rose refuses to hop on the bed with us. Bandit is so old and slow moving. Poor fellow, he likes that I keep the electric blanket on for him and he sleeps peacefully. Thank Pogo is a silly fellow. This bunch would eat that turkey in a single gulp and look at you as if to say "what, I need more!" LOL

The Queen Jester said...

Jazzy is so pretty and growing into a fine young lady...you have every right to be a proud grandma.