Sunday, November 16, 2014

A Pattern For A Kitty Toy

November 16, 2014

Good morning.  It's looking a bit cloudy and cold outside, and I'm going to leave it out there.  Today I will get caught up on my laundry.  Plus I want to work a bit on winterizing the tote that I bought to make a house for Blackie. 

A video on the web showed how to insulate the tote by using a Styrofoam cooler to line it with, but I'm having a difficult time finding a Styrofoam cooler the right size.   Today I will try to think of ways to improvise. 

When I was a very young mother, we lived in a summer cottage for a while.  When the cold weather started, I tore up the flooring and insulated the floor boards with tar paper and newspapers.  Then I replaced the linoleum flooring.  It helped quite a bit to keep the cold from coming up through the floor.

I've had a couple of requests for the crocheted kitty toy, so I'm posting it here.  I have not tried this pattern yet, so if there are problems with it, do let me know and I will check it out.  (scroll down to yesterday's post for the photo)

Materials needed: 
Medium weight yarn (#4), crochet hook size H
Toilet paper tubes - a half roll for the small toy and a full roll for the large toy.
A bell, needle and thread, a darning needle to weave in ends, and scissors

Abreviations:  Ch - chain,  sl st - slip stitch, dc - double crochet

1.  Ch 20, join with sl st to form ring (keeping  tension firm but not tight - you want both ends to be a little tighter so they hug around the toilet paper tube).   Make sure to not twist your stitches.

2.  Ch 2 in first chain and then dc in each remaining stitch in round.  Sl st in last stitch in round to join.  Repeat for 7 rounds for the half paper roll size toy, or 11 rounds for full size toilet paper roll.

3.  Finish off last round with 1 sl st in each stitch and join.

4.  Ch 30, then make 2 dc in the 3rd chain from the hook.  (If you'd like a longer curlicue then make the chain longer).

5.  Make 3 dc in each chain until you get back to the start of the chain.  Sl st to join.  Fasten off and weave in ends.

6. Sew bell on end of curlicue.  Fit over toilet paper roll.

Good luck, and I hope your kitties like the toy.  I'll be trying this pattern soon to make toys for Sunshine and Blackie.

A friend sent me an email with pictures of products from the past.  One of the pictures was for Evening in Paris, a very popular perfume from 1940's.  It was my mom's favorite, and every year Daddy would buy her the whole set (perfume, powder, cream) for Christmas.  I loved that smell.  It held such wonderful memories for me.


Last year, I found some Evening in Paris cologne in a catalogue, The Vermont Country Store.  It was a lot more expensive that I  remembered, $50 for a small bottle, but I bought it any way.  I could not wait to open the bottle and smell that wonderful fragrance again. 

Well, let me tell you, that it just wasn't the same anymore.  I could barely smell the fragrance, and it brought back no warm happy memories.  Hmmm, I wonder.  Why is this?  Ah well, at least looking at the bottle takes me back in time for a minute or two.  It's rather sad how some familiar things can be so different to us as adults.

Yesterday, Dwarf Helen went shopping with me to buy more Christmas wrapping paper and a few other small incidentals.  Then last evening, I spent some time working on the lavender afghan, and it should be finished soon.  I have only about thirteen more rows to go.  Woo Hoo!!

Well, that's about all my news for this morning.  Now I'll start some laundry.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

5 comments:

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Oh, it's catch up time again. I seem to be chasing my tail every day and nothing gets done. And, of course, there is much to do. I wanted to tell you about the out side house I made with my Granddaughter a few yesrs back. The design was given to us by Spay and Stay an organization that neuters feral cats and then returns them to thier community. They took two Totes .. a very big one and a smaller one. We lined the big tote with straw on the bottom and the sides and then put the smaller tote inside. We had alrady cut the doors so we lined them up and put straw on the top of the small tote then the lid on the big one and blankets on the bottom of the small one. The straw and the air space between the totes provides insulation and it stays quite warm in there. I made sure that I placed it so the door was facing away from where the wind would be coming from . It seems to work nicely and we do occasionally get a stray cat in there. When I see one around, I put out food and water ... I have to change the water every day because in the winter it is frozen by the next morning. I take it Blackie doesn't want to come inside so this will be a nice option for her.

I love your cormorant picture. When you headed your post with a Monster in your park, I though you were taking about the obvious monster face on the rock that the two cormorants were sitting on ... but no, I see you have a creepy crawly monster in the woods ... hmmmm.

It is only 6 weeks until Christmas and I am, as always, a long way from being ready. I love your new book ... did you go to a different printer. Last year I did my book at your printer, but they didn't print the pictures on the book, they just printed them on a cover that comes off, which I didn't like as well. Let me know who you are using again because I will be doing a Switzerland book one of these days ... also way behind on it. I have been doing Raptor programs with my friend and last night I went to a fund raiser with another friend and next weekend I have a baby shower at my neighbors. A week from today my son is leaving for Thailand to hopefully bring back his fiance. They are still waiting for the final steps in her visa process so, fingers crossed, he hopes to be back around Christmas. Too much going on ... I need a break! So glad you have your life under control. Maybe I need to hire you to come get mine in order. Anyway, need to head out to the store for some things my daughter needs. Have a great week, Edna ... and Izzi said to tell Pogo, she has snow too and she is Lovin' it! ... Be well!

Andrea @ From The Sol

LV said...

You are one busty lady. I think it is great you get involved in so many different things. I used to, but not anymore.We did a lot of different things back in my young days to stay warm, but never resorted to pulling up the floor.

Debby said...

Just love spell check......you busty lady. Hah, made me laugh. Yes you are really busy.
Is there any way you could use those strofoam peanuts.
We are getting snow. I love snow you know.
We have had a rather lazy weekend. Sleep study made for two nights of weird sleep. I hope I didnt talk n my sleep, hah. Have a good start to the week.

smiekeltje said...

Perhaps you can use the foam papers they use sometimes in packages. Or use that bubbly plastic stuff for wrapping fragile products? It will certainly help to keep the kitty house warmer.
Must say I didn't start yet wrapping presents. but I really should start on it this week.
First we have to deal with tomorrow's interview for social security.
Will have to go posting now and then get busy around here.
Big hug
Kyra

The Queen Jester said...

Thank you for the pattern - the weather here is a bit cold right now and it would feel good to play with some yarn. Now I have an excuse to run to Michael's and look at yarn!