Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Never Let The Dog Frost The Cake For You (Even If He Begs!)

October 16, 2012

Good morning to you on this sunny morning.  We're looking forward to temps in the upper 50's today with a chilly night in the upper 30's.  The weather man says that we will be getting more rain later this morning.  The rain has been coming in patches, at least giving us several hours of sunshine in between raindrops.

Have you ever let your furry kid help with the baking?  Well, I let Pogo help me make the birthday cake.  His job was to put the frosting in between the two layers of this heavenly tasting chocolate cake, and then on the top and sides.  This, however, turned out to be a lot trickier than we had thought.

The frosting kept sticking to his paws, and then when he tried to lick it off his paws it would get stuck all over his little face.  Finally though, he did get enough on the bottom layer and I put the top layer on top of that.  The top layer proved to be even more difficult for Pogo.  He would put a pawful of frosting onto the cake, but when he tried to spread it out it would rip up a chunk of cake with it.

Well, this went on all over the top of the cake.  Poor Pogo was getting frustrated with the frosting not spreading like it should and finally jumped right on top of it with all four paws to hold down the offending frosting so that he could put more on.  That did it!  Now the top layer of the cake split into three large chunks.  Yeesh!  We can fix that though.  We'll just fill in the large cracks with frosting.  Maybe.  Depends on whether or not the frosting will go into the cracks. 

Eventually, one of the dwarfs came out to help Pogo with his frosting dilemma, and the (cake?) was finally finished.  After we all had a good laugh, I took a photo of the finished product.  I must say, it looks like a big whoopee pie with a cream and crumbles frosting.  I guess we won't be making any more birthday cakes.  It only takes fifteen minutes and a few bucks to drive to the market and buy one already decorated.  However, here's our masterpiece!


Have you ever seen such a sad looking cake?  I have to say that the birthday gal was quite gracious and said that it tasted wonderful.  You should have seen the look on her face and her adult kids' faces when they walked in and saw the cake.  Those kids actually started laughing!  Imagine!  Some people have no sense of humor!  The candle was a big hit though.  When you lit it, it played "Happy Birthday".

Next, let me show you the cutest Halloween gift that Dee Dee brought me a couple of days ago. It's my very own Pet Ghost.  Her name is Genevieve Ruffles, and she is Frighteningly Fun.  There is a clear opening on the side of the canister where Genevieve will appear and sing for you whenever you press on the top of the canister.  This is so cute!  I took a couple of photos to show you what it looks like.



That's it for today.  Now I have to call and make Pogo an appointment with the groomer.  His hair is beginning to get shaggy.  I know that most Yorkies have lots of shaggy hair, but I like Pogo's little face clean and his hair short.  He just looks so adorable this way.  I just would not want to be the groomer.  Pogo is very squirmy, and does not like you to touch his face, and he does not like hair clipping at all.  I'll probably get charged the same as for a big dog.  Ah well, that's the price of having the handsomest doggie in town.

I really need to get dressed now, and get a few things done around here.  When my lady dwarf gets home from work, I have promised to take her shopping so that she can pick out something pretty for her birthday.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

7 comments:

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You have the patience of a saint ... and Pogo will probably be on a sugar high for a week. What fun you are ... I laughed my head off as I read your post this morning.
Now I know I just came into your blog life fairly recently so I need to know who the dwarf is (or dwarfs are as there seems to be more than one). It will help me put things into perspective to understand this, yes?

I love your little ghost. I would love to get one for my granddaughter ... do you know where your friend bought it? What fun you have ... you sure know how to be happy and to make others happy. I am so glad I came across your blog ... you make my day:)

Andrea @ From The Sol

Anonymous said...

Your cake does look delicious, and I could just imagine the fun you had frosting it with Pogo's "help!" I'm glad one of the dwarfs were there to help you!

For Andrea...Miss Edna has some boarders and people to help her care for them & the house, so she at times, resembles Snow White with her "dwarves" around her for assistance.

Leona in Florida

Liz said...

The cake looks delicious. Visiting late for MOM. Have a fabulous week.

Liz @ MLC
Liz @ YACB

aquascrap said...

Wow what fun you and Pogo had with the cake! Hehehehe Looks great!

Love your little pet ghost. Katie would love one of them too.

For a country that never celebrated Halloween I notice that there are more and more decorations in all the stores.

Enjoy your sunshine! Thankfully our weather has improved and we have lots of sun.

Judy xx

smiekeltje said...

Hahahaha, you've brought a big smile on my face with your cake story!
We can say, Pogo did his best, but definately he isn;t in for a job at the bakery LOL!
Never mind that, as long as the cake tasted well, that's the most important.
That little pet ghost is just too cute!!!
Hope to see a handsome Pogo shortly, after he had his visit to the groomer.
Have a fantastic day
Hug
Kyra

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

ROFLMAO reading the escapades of Pogo icing the cake...I can just see it! Thanx for the chuckle. The cake still looks yummy and I'm sure it still tasted wonderful. The pet ghost is cute too, bet Pogo is jealous of it singing to you! Good luck with the groomers! Have a terrific day! Hugs, Mat

The Queen Jester said...

I loved the image of Pogo helping with the cake! Just think of it as your own answer to Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree.