Friday, June 26, 2020

Bargaining With God

June 26, 2020

Good morning.  The sun is shining right now, but my phone app says that in a while we'll be having some rain and then more sun with temps rising up into the eighties.  As a matter of fact, my phone app says we're going to have rain for the next seven days.  Obviously my phone app has been hitting the juice a bit too much.  I'll just have to wait and see what sort of weather we're in for.  Or maybe later I'll turn on the Weather Channel on TV.  

Have you ever been in a situation where you tried to make a bargain with God?  Did it work?  Last night, I watched an episode on Law & Order where a person did try to make a bargain with Him.  It brought back so many memories of a bargain I had tried to make so many years ago.

When my Laura Jean first got sick and had to be hospitalized, I spent most all my hours, when I was not at work, sitting by her hospital crib, praying that she would get better.  She only got worse.  I was told that she would most likely not live much longer.  Each night as I sat by her crib, I would pray to God.  "Dear God, I'm going to sleep now.  Please let her be better when I wake up.  If not, please let her go quietly in her sleep."

Was He listening?  Of course.  Did it work?  No.  He had plans for my little girl.  Plans that I could not understand, and just had to accept.  I was so thankful that I had four other children because they are what kept me going.  That was almost fifty five years ago.  Laura Jean still lives in her own world in a pediatric facility.  She's stubborn like me.  She's not in any rush to move on.  This is the only photo I have of me holding my beautiful Laura Jean.


Do I still talk to God?  Yes, but I've learned to just trust Him and have faith.  So many of us have been in a similar situation.  I hope it helps to know that you were not alone.  All our prayers are listened to.  But a lot of them are answered in ways that we don't understand.  I never did figure out why He needed my baby girl, but she's happy and well taken care of and that's all that counts.   

This isn't what I had planned on writing today, but this is what my fingers typed.  Now I'm going to get a cold bottle of water and do a bit of blog reading.  So, till Sunday, Y'all stay safe and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

6 comments:

smiekeltje said...

We never know what God has planned for us or our loved ones. I do talk to Him sometimes, praying for a little bit of help and somehow it seems to work.

It must have been hard to see your child become so ill, and not getting better the way you wanted it, but as you say, Laura jean is in her own world and happy in it. That's the thing that counts.

It was a warm day today, we might get some rain tonight and slowly temps will go down. Not a bad thin, because the temps right now are just a bit too much.

Have a lovely weekend
Hugs
Kyra

Susie said...

Edna, I think we may have all tried to bargain with God at one time or other. I just have to keep praying. I know the Lord loves when we pray for others, so I do lots of that. Believe me , when the Lord does answer any prayer , I try to thank Him right away. Prayers for you. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Steve Reed said...

Thanks for trusting us, your readers, with such a sad, personal story. Who knows why things work out the way they do. But you're right -- all our bargaining seldom seems to have any effect. Sometimes it's just a matter of acceptance.

Theresa said...

We have all had similar conversations with God. What a sweet picture of you holding Laura Jean. We have to put our trust in God and be thankful for each day we have with our loved ones. Have a blessed day dear friend! HUGS!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

There are many people who have tried to bargain with God in various ways. You have shared such a personal story, Edna, and though it was achingly sad, thank you for showing that acceptance can also lead to inner peace for you and Laura Jean.

Unknown said...

I was too young to attend school yet when I asked my mother if God had a black station wagon. My mother had told me that my 2 yr. old brother had gone to be with God, and I had seen a man in a black station wagon, carrying off my baby brother. (leukemia) Cherish those memories of your precious Laura Jean. And, thank you for sharing your touching story. Hugs.