Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Happy St. Patrick's Day 2020

March 17, 2020

Good morning.  My goodness, the day started with light snow flurries.  We should also get some light rain showers before the day is over.  Well, Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone.  The color for today is green for most folks, while a few Protestants will wear orange. 

St. Patrick's Day is a global celebration of Irish culture on or around March 17.  It particularly remembers St. Patrick, one of Ireland's patron saints, who ministered Christianity in Ireland during the fifth century.  St. Patrick's Day is celebrated in countries with people of Irish descent.

The colors on the Irish flag are green, white and orange.  The white is supposed to symbolize the peace between the (green) Roman Catholic majority and the (orange) Protestant minority.  There is a lot of interesting history about this day on the web.  Have some fun and look it up. 

I say "have fun" because I find learning new things very interesting and enjoyable.  Most of us have to spend a lot of time at home now (because of the virus) so it's a great time for learning new things.

Today, I have a couple photos to share that I took while waiting at the car rental place for my driver to take me to the airport.  (Sunday morning in Kissimmee)  I thought the tree in this first photo looked a bit lonesome. 


The sun rising in Florida is quite a site.   It is a huge bright yellow ball that showers everything in its path with a golden yellow glow.  In this photo, you can see it shining through the branches on the tree, making it such a pretty view.


Before I left Florida, I had placed a grocery order online to be picked up when I got home.  However, the order picker does not pick the order until it is to be picked up, and they stopped the Sunday pickup (at WalMart) so my order did not get picked until some time mid Monday.  By then, a lot of the items that I had ordered were already out of stock. 

Of course, I'm grateful for what I did get, but now I have to go out and shop somewhere else to see if I can pick up a few items.  On the news this morning, I heard that Stop & Shop markets will be opening days from 6 am to 7:30 am to give folks 65 and older a chance to do their shopping without the crowds.  I think that's wonderful, except why so early in the morning?  It's not even daylight until after 7 am.  Ah well, at least they are trying to help us.

It got up late today, and it's time for me to get busy around here.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a wonderful day.  Be safe. 

Hugs, Edna B.

3 comments:

My Tata's Cottage said...

We have a strange assortment of things we found at the stores. But grateful for what we have. I had to pick up my prescription last night and saw a women walking out of the store with four cases of canned veggies. Hoping she was taking them to a food bank otherwise the greed is absolutely frightening. Seeing people selling toilet paper on ebay for astronomical pricing. Shame on them is all I can say. My sister said in our hometown a woman called a radio station to brag she bought out stock and is able to send her daughter on her school trip for $2500! Lord where do these kids go to Hawaii~?!?!?!?! Not to mention her greed in price gouging but I saw it in the stores too. Very sad times. I am grateful GOD is in control. He is all I know and I do not care to know the other mean and spiteful and hateful things.
My hubby has to be at work but it is basically a skeleton crew his dept. which currently is two people one 8 to 4:40 and one 2-10 and the mail room. His boss has to work from home. No one to tend to the children since there is no school.
I pray his bus does not stop running has, he was one of 6 on it for the past two days.
I read Bette Midler says Trump is a liar that he tested negative to the virus. What in the world is wrong with this people? Hate is overflowing and GOD Is watching it all.
But I am writing my encouragement cards and praying for better days.
STay safe and warm. HUGS HEALTH LOVE

Steve Reed said...

My boss used to wear orange on St. Patrick's Day. It always seemed deliberately provocative to me!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy St Patrick's Day to you as well, Edna. There isn't any celebrating going on except in everyone's home this year. No need to worry about folks drinking too much and driving cause they can head straight to bed. Hope the grocery order gets completed easily. I'm not sure if the stores here are open different hours for seniors.