Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Grocery Shopping Can Be An Eye Opener

March 18, 2020

Good morning.  Tis only five a.m. but I'm up so I may as well enjoy a cup of coffee and type my post.  I had a nap yesterday from mid to late afternoon, so sleep has been fitful all through the night.

Well, yesterday was an interesting day for me.  I got to go grocery shopping.  Oooh wee!  Was I in for a surprise.  I went with one of the guys from the house, and we went to the market where he shops, Shaw's Market.

I know this market's prices are higher than I'm used to paying, but their prices now are ridiculous!  There are price signs every where and other small signs saying that "these prices in effect until April 30.  A small box of macaroni and cheese that usually costs $1.00 was $2.50.  Cans of fruit that usually cost between $1.00 and $1.49 were $2.49.  There were some eggs on sale for $4.99 to $5.49 a dozen.  These were normally $5.99 to $6.49 a dozen.  And so it went throughout the market.



Don't get me wrong, I was definitely thankful that I was able to buy some of the groceries that I wanted, but I call this price gouging.  Maybe I'm wrong, but the markets that I normally shop at don't charge these high prices.

At the checkout counter, I saw a store manager and mentioned to him that I thought their prices were exhorbitant.  He acted really surprised and said "Really?  Which ones?"  I told him just about all of their prices.  He seemed embarrassed and tried to talk to me about a points program that they have and how I could get free coupons if I spent enough there.  I dropped it, paid my bill, and we left.

On the way home, we got a nice surprise.  Mike (the guy with me) had to stop to get some gas for his car.  The price was super, only $1.95 per gallon.  I took this shot through the wet windshield.  It was still raining lightly.


By the time we got back home, I was exhausted.  I put all the refrigerator and freezer items away, then it was nap time.  This morning I'll put away the rest of the items that I bought.  My breathing isn't the greatest, so as you can see, I'm really slow at some (most) things.

On the news, they are saying that the date for tax payment is being extended for 90 days, but the deadline to file the taxes is still April 15.  So far.  And New York City now has 900 confirmed cases of the virus!  California must be really bad because their schools may be closed for the rest of the year.  The U.S. figures are 105 deaths, 5700+ cases.

This Corona virus is nasty.  Yet, there are still so many folks not paying attention to all the safety warnings.  If everyone paid heed to them, maybe we could lick this thing sooner than later.  This pandemic is really changing life for all of us.

I took a short break here to watch the morning news.  Things are looking gloomy all over.  I'm praying that we all come through this okay.  My coffee is cold (I haven't been drinking it fast enough)   I think I'll head to the kitchen for a fresh cup of coffee.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.  Be safe!

Hugs, Edna B.

6 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

It's sad that people don't listen because they put all of us at risk. I'm here in Brooklyn, New York, with both me and hubby in vulnerable list, and yet many here are going around like nothing is happening. Construction on a non-essential continues next door all day long and not only should they not be out and about, but the noise is tremendous all day long. All we can do is pray that this passes quickly.

Theresa said...

I popped in at the grocery store yesterday for a few things. I had most everything I needed but with the little bit I bought to add to it, we are good for a couple weeks. There shouldn't be any price gouging but sadly there is. Not at my BIG store but I am sure the little stores are trying to make an extra buck. Stay safe my friend, we are staying in and doing our part to keep that stinking virus out of our home. BIG HUGS and PRAYERS coming your way!

16 blessings'mom said...

I think that's awful that their prices are so high. I live in central NY state, four miles from a Dollar General. They still had eggs and diapers, but no toilet paper. The cashier said they will continue to restock, so I hope no big hogs come in and take everything. People in town don't have much money, probably even less in the near future with jobs and hours being cut. If a mom can't walk to the store and get diapers, ugh. I'm glad you got some things you needed. Keep safe, and keep looking up!
Della

smiekeltje said...

Good you could find most of the things you needed from the groceries. It is bad, that the supermarket you went to this time take really advantage of the situation. Till now, I didn;t notice in our supermarkets big price raises or so. But..... it could happen.
This viruw is palying a big role in our lives at the moment, and it isn;t fun. We just go out if necessary for some shopping of groceries and that's it. Here we are still kind of free to go out, no real restrictions.. yet. Just to take care not to be to close to people, etc.
All is having enormous effects of our lives and the economy. Hopefully this situation will not last for really long.
Thanks for offering some patters for crochet, but I have several in stock, so for now I can go on.
Now you take care. Hopefully you can get next batch of groceries delivered home when you need it.
And if possible let other people do some grocerie shopping for you( if they go out for themselves, they can take some for you too).
Hold on!
Hugs
Kyra

Dee Jaynes said...

Mom- STOP going out of your house- I told you I will get you whatever you need. This virus is no joke- especially for you. Please listen to me- I love you.

Mary Ann Roesler said...

Edna, You shouldn't be going into any grocery store with your breathing condition. We got our 1st 2 cases of CV-19 in La Crosse County. We have cancelled all our appointments until it's a doors open policy again. Stay smart and healthy. Mary Ann