Monday, October 22, 2018

The Leaves Are Falling

October 22, 2018

Good morning.  Tis another wicked cool morning here in New England.  The wind must have been a bit brisky during the night because my driveway is almost totally covered with leaves.  The sun is shining and the temperature now is 27F degrees.  Brrrr!   Pogo and I are going out to do some errands, but we're waiting till noon when the temps will be up to at least forty degrees.

Well, last night I did it.  I called the Cabaret to reserve my table for next Saturday night.  Yup, I'm going one more time to see Gypsy.  It's an awesome show, and that will be the last night it is performed.  If you live in our area and you haven't seen the show yet, next weekend is your last chance.  Don't miss it.  These talented Starliners are simply awesome.

This week I will be renewing my drivers license.  Hopefully tomorrow.  Today I need to make sure I have all the necessary paperwork gathered and in one envelope.  There's always a long wait at the Registry, but hopefully by going early in the morning the wait won't be too bad.  So, tomorrow's post may be a bit late. 

While going through a batch of old papers, I came across these relics from the past. 



These were popular back in the 1940's and 1950's.  They were an early form of credit.  You could buy up a book of these and then use them as cash when you bought something.  I have some from W.T. Grant's store too, but I could not find them.  My mom shopped at Gilchrist, and I bought my first little "credit" book at Grant's. 

I remember opening my first charge account at Kay Jewelers in Quincy square when I was fifteen.  I had a job, and Kay's had a little pink portable radio that I wanted.  I think my payments were something like fifty cents a month.  My dad taught me to pay it off a bit early and buy something else.  This way, I would be building up my credit. 

When my kids were small, I used to do my food shopping that way.  I'd borrow four hundred dollars from the bank to be paid back in four monthly payments of $100 each.  Then I would shop for a whole month.  I have to say we ate very well, and there was always plenty of stuff left when the month ended.  Gosh, wouldn't it be nice if we could do this today?

Today I think I'll go through some of my clothes and put together another bag for the Big Brother, Big Sister organization.  I got a card saying that they will be in this area soon.  It's a great way to recycle a lot of still wearable clothing and small appliances, and it will help to de-clutter my place a bit. 

Now I'm off to do a bit of blog reading and finish my coffee.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

It's chilly here this morning, we asked for it and we got it:) So happy that you are going to see the show again:) Have a blessed day dear friend, I am planning to get some clothes ready to donate today too.

My Tata's Cottage said...

Oh my gosh, what great memories you have! I remember stores giving you credit til payday and boy is our world different today! The greed everywhere makes me ill!
Enjoy the show! You know for Mother's Day Noelle and Rebekah took me to see a local play in the city of Longmont. It was Gypsy too! Her dear friend Mary from Ireland has a son who has been an actor at that playhouse for a long time. I love supporting community playhouses. I love supporting many good causes.
Gypsy Rose Lee had a quite an interesting life. She was a very modest lady. I loved her as a kid and enjoyed the play so much.
We had a cold spell with a sprinkling of snow and then it warmed up. I believe it will be in the 60's today.
Harrison spent the night with us. His folks went to the gambling halls, a place I do not care for, because her grandma is here on vacation from Florida.
We live in a such a beautiful state and there is so much history. Gambling is not a place I want to spend the pennies I receive in my golden years!
I hope your day is blessed and beautiful. Good luck taking care of the drivers license. I would love to know all about these new govt. rules. :-)
HUGS xo xo