Monday, August 28, 2017

The News Of The Storm Is Not Good

August 28, 2017

Good morning.  Well, it is for us. But not so good for millions of folks in Texas.  I've been following news of the storm and the news is not good.  As of bedtime last night, there had been five deaths because of the storm.  The water keeps climbing higher, and the rain doesn't look like it's going to stop for some time.

So far, I have not seen or heard of any pets or wildlife being saved and I am heart sick over this .  I'm hoping that everyone who evacuated remembered to take their animals with them.  I'm hoping that all livestock has been moved to higher ground before the neighborhoods became flooded.

There's not much other news for today.  Pogo and I will go out to do a couple errands when I'm finished typing this post.  Other than that, I've made no other plans for today.  I have about fifteen more rows to put on the afghan and it will be done, so maybe I'll work on that later today.  At some point, I'll have to go pick up a few groceries as we're running out of a few things. 

The nights are pretty cool now, only in the fifties.  The days are getting shorter too.  The sun comes up later in the morning and sets a lot earlier in the evening.  So I guess that means that Autumn is right around the corner.

Deanne sent me a photo a few days ago of a "stick bug" that she spotted in her yard.   Phasmatodea are an order of insects, whose members are variously known as stick insects in Europe and Australasia;  and stick bugs, walking sticks or bug sticks in the United States and Canada.  They are also known as Phasmids, ghost insects or leaf insects.  They can also be kept as pets, and you can look this information up on Google.


I also have a photo that Joe sent to me while he was at the park.  He knows that I love all the water birds there.  Here's a cute photo of a pair of ducks resting by a rock.


I also dug a photo out from my archives of a yellow finch enjoying a patch of black-eyed susans.  I haven't seen any of these yellow finches around here for a couple of years now.  Hmmm, not sure why. 


Now I think I'll take my leave and get dressed.  I really do need to do a couple of errands.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Edna,
I have heard on the news, local mostly but we have an organization here that sent several crews to foster the animals in the flood zones. Several other groups as well are taking the pets and fostering them for their owners. It was the first time since the flooding we had here two years ago that such a large organization of volunteers have actually been able to foster and rescue the pets since it was started.

I am very sorry to hear of the deaths, as I had only heard of 2. How sad. I read on CNN that the Gov of Texas said for people to listen to their local law officials and Houston knowing they were going to get that much rain was told to Shelter In Place. So they did not send out an order to evacuate. Even tho Austin implemented road openings for people to evacuate. I don't know about you but if I knew we had 25 to 30 inches (or Feet) of water heading my way I would have left!

I am going back to bed. I can't keep my eyes open but wanted to say hello. Your last photo is blank. I am having problems uploading pages and pictures too. It keeps saying rejected by server. How strange...

Hugs to you and Pogo. I will comment a little later... Love Beth and Cisco... xx

Unknown said...

Edna,
How odd, I came back to your blog and your photo of the lovely finch is there... Not sure what happened, but my apologies for earlier comment... Hugs, Beth

Moggie said...

I am in Austin and we didn't have it bad at all. But pets are being rescued. Austin Pets Alive is taking in a few hundred pets from the devastated cities and even cities like San Diego are helping. I read several reports that pets are allowed to go with their owners to shelters, as long as they have current rabies shots. It's much better than what happened in New Orleans with Katrina.

I hope you can rest a little easier knowing that beloved pets are not being forgotten.