Wednesday, December 14, 2016

History From "The Good Old Days"

December 14, 2016

Good morning.  The sun is shining and the temperature is 39F degrees.  By supper time, the temps will have dropped down into the 20's.  I guess the next couple of days will be rather chilly. 

Last evening, I finished getting the rest of my mailer boxes ready to go.  Today one of the dwarfs will go to the Post Office with me to help carry the boxes.  Goodness, I made it with not a minute to spare.  I have a few last cards to finish addressing and put in the mail tomorrow morning.  After that, I can sit back and relax. 

I had wanted to work on my laptop for a while last evening, but things have been too busy.  Now I'll have more time to play.  I promise there will be some quick pages coming soon. 

A friend of mine sent me a really interesting story about one of our Presidents, Harry Truman.  There's also a photo of him and his wife Bess relaxing at home during his retirement.  I hope you enjoy this.

 
" "Harry Truman was a different kind of President. He probably made as many, or more important decisions regarding our nation's history as any of the other 32 Presidents preceding him.  However, a measure of his greatness may rest on what he did after he left the White House.
 
The only asset he had when he died was the house he lived in, which was in Independence Missouri.  His wife had inherited the house from her mother and father and other than their years in the White House, they lived their entire lives there.
 
When he retired from office in 1953, his income was a U.S. Army pension reported to have been $13,507.72 a year.  Congress, noting that he was paying for his stamps and personally licking them, granted him an allowance and  later a retroactive pension of $25,000 per year.
 
After President Eisenhower was inaugurated, Harry and Bess drove home to Missouri by themselves.  There was no Secret Service following them.
 
When offered corporate positions at large salaries, he declined, stating "You don't want me.  You want the office of the President, and that doesn't belong to me.  It belongs to the American people and it's not for sale."
 
Even later, on May 6, 1971, when Congress was preparing to award him the Medal of Honor on his 87th birthday, he refused to accept it, writing "I don't consider that I have done anything which should be the reason for any award, Congressional or otherwise."
 
As President, he paid for all of his own travel expenses and food.
 
Modern politicians have found a new level of success in cashing in on the Presidency, resulting in untold wealth.  Today many in Congress also have found a way to become quite wealthy while enjoying the fruits of their offices.  Political offices are now for sale.
 
Good old Harry Truman was correct when he observed "My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician.  And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" "
 
Please keep in mind that I do not know who originally wrote this article.  I merely copied it here for your enjoyment.  I only fact checked the date of his inauguration, length of time in office, and which number President he was.
 
I hope you enjoyed the article.  I certainly did.  Actually, I remember President Truman from when I was just a little girl.  He was inaugurated on April 12, 1945 when President Roosevelt died of a massive stroke, and served in office until January 20,1953. 
 
Now I'm off to get dressed so that I'll be ready to take all my boxes to the Post Office.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day. 
 
Hugs, Edna B.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Edna,
I certainly did enjoy your article and the lesson in History. Times have certainly changed and not for the better but when morals are lost, they have a hard time coming back. I would like to see the Presidency and Congress and everyone else have the attitude that this great man had. I loved the photo as well.

I am glad that you made it to the post office. I will be delighted to get your box mailed off as soon as possible. I am sending it with Karyn tomorrow and she said she will go over on her lunch break and mail it off for me. She is right next to the post office. I told her to get a tracking number so I could give it to you.

Not much news here. I will go over and update my blog now and then I am going to have a nap. That doctor visit was 4 hours including travel and wait time. It has tired me out...

Hugs and Cuddles to sweet Pogo and to you as well Edna... Talk to you soon... Love Beth and Cisco.

smiekeltje said...

It was a wonderful article and one that politiocians of today should read well and act by it! But all has changed, there are still politicians who at the least try to do good and have still some moral, but others just enter into politics to get better of it.
Happy one of the dwarfs went with you to the Post Office for the packages.
Must be a good feeling to have almost all done now and to be able to relax.
I will go and post on my blog now, and then try to do some shopping later today.
Have a wonderful day.
KHug
Kyra