Thursday, December 17, 2015

Tis The Busiest Week Of The Year

December 17, 2015

Good morning.  Woo Hoo!  Only seven more days and Santa will be here.  Have you been good all year? 

 
I just couldn't resist posting this adorable cartoon that I borrowed from the web.  Really, I wouldn't tell on you.  Honest.  Even if you don't send me all your oatmeal raisin cookies.  haha.
 
Well, I think I'm on the last row of the pink baby blanket.  It's about the size of a regular baby blanket.  The other blanket (baby print colors) is much bigger, sort of like a mini afghan.  So, I'll finish off this row later today and get back to working on the baby cocoon. 
 
It's been a busy week here, trying to track down a package that I sent to my Aunt Lucy a week ago this past Tuesday.  My post office tracked it to the So. Boston post office, where it was sitting because they did not want to leave it in an unprotected area.  Lucy lives in an apartment building, and just leaving the package on the step or inside the door was not safe. 
 
Each day, I've been trying to have it delivered to my aunt personally, but her schedule and the postal worker's schedule were just not cooperating.  Aunt Lucy volunteers at least twice a week at a facility for the blind.  (She drives herself there and back home.)  Finally, yesterday, one of the postal workers delivered it to her.  Aunt Lucy called last evening, and was all excited about her new afghan that I had made for her. 
 
Lucy (87 years young)  has been making afghans and all sorts of other things for many years, and giving them all away to veterans hospitals, nursing homes, childrens' hospitals, etc.  She hasn't kept any for herself.  Now she has one.  A beautiful lemon yellow afghan. 
 
We have now entered what I think is the busiest week of the year.  Folks everywhere will be scurrying here, there and everywhere to find all those last minute gifts,  Some will be busy with cooking.  All those pies and cakes and cookies that we all love.  Mmmm, can't you just taste them?  And a lot of folks will be travelling to be with family and friends for the Christmas holiday. 
 
Well, I must confess, I already have a few things in my gift drawer for next Christmas.  When I see what I want and the price is right, I get it and put it in the drawer.  That's the easy part.  The hard part is pushing myself to get it all wrapped, tagged and packaged on time. 
 
I had a long chat with a friend of mine the other night, and we were discussing how so many of our friends and family are no longer here with us.  I guess we all tend to think that "there's always a tomorrow" to be with those close to us.  No so.  Today and tomorrow are both gifts.  So while they are here, let your family and friends know how much they mean to you.  Spend time with them.  Some of these moments may have to last us a lifetime.
 
 
Ever hear of thunder sleet?  Well that's what is happening in Burnsville, Minnesota.  That's sleet falling during a thunder and lightning storm.  Wow!  That's as unusual as the thunder snow that we had two or three years back.
 
Folks, don't forget to do something nice for someone in need.  It's easy, and it doesn't hurt.  Yet it can mean the world to someone who has nothing or no one.  Trust me, you'll feel so good about yourself.  Here's another beautiful poster that I borrowed from the web.
 
 
I'm thankful for all that I have, and I'm thankful for all of you.  You make my days so joyful.  On that note, I'm going to go finish that last row on the pink blanket.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a most joyous day.
 
Hugs, Edna B.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,
Loved your post today and cheers for your Aunt Lucy receiving her very own afghan... Lovely thing for her.
I am time pressed. Yesterday my body insisted on sleep so that is what I did... from 4:30 yesterday until 8:30 this morning. In the mean time I have company coming and I am not even dressed... that is not unusal since I am always lounging in something comphy anyway....

I gotta run... But have a fantastic day... Hugs to you and Pogo.... Beth and Cisco... which reminds me... I have to go find where he is hiding out... lol

Debby said...

After all the work you put in your afghans I would track them down as well.
I am having postal issues as well and they are not helpful at all. I keep calling and they keep telling me the same thing.
My four foot Maileg, Pixie, is now floating around between addresses. The new owner of our home found our Christmas cards by the garage door. I think that is what package it is.
Now it seems little Hank has a cold. Not a bad one but he is sneezy. Geez.
Many hugs today. for you.

Stacey said...

I am so glad Lucy, finally got her afghan. I would share my cookies with you, but I'm a fan of oatmeal chocolate chip, not oatmeal raisin - LOL. trader joe's makes the best ones. I'm almost done, crafting, but have to get going so I do finish. I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow!

smiekeltje said...

Yes, it is a busy time and you are right that we should grab every day we have. Although at times it is hard, and you don;t feel very blessed at times, thinking and seeing others in real desparate situations makes you realize we still have a good life.
Glad the package for aunt Lucy arrived.
Think I will do a bit housework today, and think about something real quick for me for dinner(as Jan is at his volunteerwork, I eat earlier and he takes a bite when he comes home later).
Going to post now, so I'll leave you for the moment.
Have a fantastic day.
Hug
Kyra

The Queen Jester said...

Leave it to Minnesota to come up with thunder sleet. They do seem to have every kind of extreme weather possible. It's why we only go there in the summer!