Wednesday, April 22, 2015

A Little Word Play Is Good For The Soul

April 22, 2015

Good morning.  The sun is shining and it's nice outside but I think by the end of the day the clouds and rain may be back.  That's okay.  I'll enjoy the sunshine while we have it.  I've just put the mail out, taken all the plants outside to my doorstep, and opened the front door so that Pogo can keep an eye on all that happens outside. 

Yesterday, the doctor did call back to say that he had phoned a prescription over to the pharmacy for me.  My daughter Deanne came by to go to the bank for me so that I could pay some bills, and later dwarf Mike took Joe to pick up my new prescription. 

Last evening, I picked up my crocheting and put a few more rows on the jade shawl.  I think four or five more rows will finish it off.  I had already taken one dose of medicine, and I really hope this does the trick.  I did not have to use the oxygen at all these past two nights.  That alone makes me feel better.

When I put the plants out this morning, I noticed a few more blooms in the little gardens by the house.  I'll have to take my phone out after I finish this post and take a few photos.   Seeing the flowers blooming raises my spirits and makes my eyes real happy.

Every day, a few of our little birdies come by for food, but they don't stay very long.  Yesterday, I made up the peanut butter rolls and Joe put them into the treat frames.  I'm hoping that this will lure more of the birds back.  I really miss having them outside my window all day long.

Today I have a few photos that I took through the kitchen window of one of our squirrels getting ready to feast on some bird food.  They may be pesky, but they need food too.  Maybe later I'll go out with another bowl of peanuts to scatter around.  The birds and critters just love these.




How about a little bit of "word play" before I end this post?  There are so many illuminating facts in my little "Ultimate Book of Useless Information.   Gosh, don't you just love these big words?  haha.

Did you know that the word "Gambrinous" means "being full of beer" or that Transurphobia" is the fear of haircuts?  Here's one you probably don't really want to know - "Pasta Vermicelli" means "little worms." 

The letter "w" is the only letter in the alphabet that does not have just one syllable.  It has three.  The highest scoring three letter word in Scrabble is "zax", which is a tool for cutting and trimming roof slates.

Did you know that left handed people cannot write Mandarin Chinese?    "Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".  The shortest French word with all five vowels is "Oiseau", meaning bird.  Here's one you might not know - a "Vexillologist" studies flags.

Well, now that I've fortified our minds a bit, I think I'll make myself a fresh cup of coffee and get caught up on some blog reading.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha Ha Edna, I enjoyed the word trivia.... and What a little stinker your squirrel is... Too cute for his own good.

I am glad that you received your medication and I hope that it does the trick. Not using the oxygen is great news.

I have been up and cleaned the kitchen, and my bathroom and had lunch, and the sweeping and mopping is done. I am going to have a nap. Take care and HUGS, Beth

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

Hi Miss Edna, sorry just back from a trip to Georgia and my 50th class reunion...trying to play catch up...still reading blogs, I will be back as the thunder is beginning and we are expecting some really rough weather, got to cut my computer off with the lightning strikes...will return and chat more later! Hugs to you and Pogo! Mat

The Queen Jester said...

Always love anything about words - but could have lived without the "little worms"

Nani said...

You know how much I love squirrelies!! :) They totally bring out my inner child; I don't think I've used the more adult word "squirrel" in ever!

I'm glad you've got a prescription for your current ailment! David and I had appointments with several of our financial guys today. Our last appointment was a check-in with my investment manager. H e said hello and said he wasn't shaking hands today because he came in for his appointment with me but was going home and back to sleep after. He really could have just called and asked to reschedule. He wanted to talk to me about a change, but really I don't have enough to lose that much if I wait a week. It was still sweet to come in just to keep my investments in line. (I AM one of his smaller accounts) The change of the seasons is just a nasty time for helping bug-germs out!

Feel better and keep feeling better!

Hugs, Nani

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

We are having a repeat of winter here. It has snowed, albeit lightly twice already today and it is cold, cold, cold! The sun peeks through once in awhile, but it isn't here long enough to warm anything up. Our flowers are hanging in there, but our swallows are struggling because there are no bugs in the air when it is this cold.

I am recouping from our Ohio weekend. I don't know if it is all of the activity or if it is sleeping in a strange bed, but I do come home very tired. I am finally starting to feel normal, but I have been a zombie for two days. Izzi too ... she is more than happy to sleep all day.

I am going to my friends tomorrow and we are going over by the Fox River. I am hoping to get some bird pictures while we are out. I am guessing the eagles have left the area now that the other lakes and rivers are open, but there is a chance of seeing one or two while we are there ... fingers crossed. Two of our eagles stopped by a week or so ago, but I haven't seen them since. They don't stay around when the boaters start stirring up the lake ... can't fish when the water is choppy.

Izzi and I have class tonight so I have to start dinner early. Hope your medication does the trick for you ... nothing worse than being sick. Get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids ... hugs to Pogo from Izzi.

Andrea @ From The Sol

Annesphamily said...

Sweet photos Edna! I love that squirrel, just a hungry fellow trying to grab a meal! We have a phamily of bunnies under the front porch deck. Blasted they move so quickly I missed catching a shot of one of the lil fellows eating weeds outside his protective space! Have to watch Jeremy's two bigger dogs, they are hunters and they have chased that poor mama a time or two but rarely on my watch. They know there will be zero treats for naughty pups! I'm going to miss them. You feel better, maybe your medicine will work. Prayers