Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Oh Such Wicked Wicked Cold!!

February 24, 2015

Good morning.  Brrrrr!  It's cold here.  At the moment, it is 0 degrees.  It wasn't really too bad until around 3:30 a.m. this morning when it started getting really cold.   Even Pogo decided that it was too cold and time to crawl under the blankets with Mommy.  Body heat helps to keep it warmer beneath the blanket.  Today is supposed to get up into the mid teens with snow tonight.

I may not go out today to do any errands.  Instead I may wait until tomorrow when the temperature is supposed to reach 33F.   We have a winter weather advisory in effect until 7 a.m. Wednesday.  I may have to go back into hibernation mode until Saturday.

As much as I crab about the snow and the cold, there is quite a lot of beauty in the winterscapes.  I took these photos of my trees this past weekend while it was snowing.  The first photo is my Red Japanese Maple, and the second photo shows some of my gentle giants.



I also have another pretty photo that I took through the laundry room door.  I thought this was such an interesting view. 


Last night I put a few more rows on the blue afghan, and now there are only four more rows to go to finish it off.  I'll most likely do that later today.  I think I've definitely decided on taking the pattern and some yarn for a poncho with me to work on in Florida. 

I usually pack a box of things to mail to myself in Florida, but this year I think I'll pack a second, smaller, suitcase instead.  The cost for the second suitcase is about the same as the cost of mailing the box.  I may just pack the box and take it to the Post Office to make sure of the price. 

Or the other thing that I could do is to mail the box to Florida, and buy another suitcase while I'm in Florida to bring my extra things home in.   I'll have to give this some thought.  Isn't it wonderful to have such trifling things to worry about?  haha. 

The other thing that I'm concerned about is the weather in the Carolinas and Georgia.  My Audrey will be driving from Virginia to Florida, so I'm hoping that this wicked Southern Winter weather will take a break so that she will have a safe journey.

How about the rest of the Presidential tid-bits?  Do you know who was the only president to be elected to two non-consecutive terms, and that he rejected two-thirds of the bills that Congress sent him?   If you guessed Grover Cleveland, you're right.

Or how about the highest jumping president, who set a record at West Point that lasted for 25 years.  He was also on the record books for a speeding ticket he received while on his horse.  Hmmm, I do believe that this was Ulysses S. Grant.

Guests may have had to reconsider before attending any of this president's parties.  He served no refreshments, banned dancing at the White House and hymns were the only music he allowed.  My goodness, such a party animal!  Did you guess James K. Polk?  Well then, you're right.

And finally, when this president approached, all the servants jumped into closets.  He required the help to be "invisible", but he allowed his son's two pet alligators to wander the White House freely.  Of course, this was none other than Herbert Hoover. 

I've enjoyed these tid-bits, so I may just pick up a couple of books to read up on more of this interesting trivia.  Learning can be such fun, and I love learning new things.  Well that's about all the news for this morning.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all be warm and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I really loved your Presidential tid bits Edna, I knew most of them at one time but had forgotten a lot of them as time went on. However, the alligators were news to me... YIKES. I sure hope that the help jumped into closets when those rascals were roaming freely. I just can't imagine.
Your probably right about the cost of the second bag being cheaper than mailing off the box. I sent my grandson a box for last Christmas and it cost nearly $50.00. My alternative now is to shop online and pick out what I want him to have and then his mom or grandmother can go and pick up the items. It worked out well because I just paid $10.00 for the fee. Perfect alternative for me.

The poncho sounds great. I hope that you will post a picture of it when you ge it finished. Have a great day! Hugs, Beth

The Queen Jester said...

Here's hoping your Florida get away goes without a hitch.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Wow, you must take a lot of stuff with you to Florida if you have to pack boxes to send and or take a second suitcase. I learned from my friend how to minimize my packing when I went to Switzerland and the good thing was that I had room in my suitcase to bring gifts home in. You could pack your needles and buy new yarn when you are down there. Maybe they will have some that you haven't seen up by you. That would be fun.

I hope the roads are good for Audrey too ... that is quite a drive from Virginia to Florida, but she has made it before so I am guessing she will be fine. Is John flying down with you ... that will be nice to have a companion to help with your suitcases and just getting to where you are going. I think it is so cool that he is going ... he is one hard working man and deserves a break.

We are having a heat wave today ... a high of 18 degrees woo hoo. It is only going to last one day though ... it is supposed to get back to the subzeros again tomorrow and for the rest of the week. Our normal temps are in the high 30'a at this time of year. I hate to think what is in store for us in future winters. Each one seem to get a little worse than the last. I am not complaining though ... we didn't get 90 plus inches of snow here so we can manage by just dressing warmly. Izzi is not happy though ... it is really too cold for her to stay out to play. We go for short walks or a short game of Frisbee, but it is not enough to tamp down her energy level. She will be glad to see spring and then unhappy agian when it gets hot. Oh my ... poor baby :)

Love your presidential tidbits ... it turns out our Presidents are all too human and can be as weird as the rest of us. Wish they would rise above that and take care of business. Oh well ... I don't talk about politics anymore ... gets my blood boiling.

You get yourself ready for your yummy cozy warm trip. I can't wait to hear all about it. Hope you are able to get out to see some wildlife while you are there. Looking forward to some pictures too. Be well and warm hugs to the Pogo ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

smiekeltje said...

It might be a good idea to take another suitcase with you, instead of mailing a box. Mailing consts have gone high and it is almost unbelievable what they charge for just 2 or 3 kg!
Gosh, you still have wicked weather.
Really time to go to better in Florida. I cross my fingers for Audrey that she will be able to drive and will arrive safely!
Have a wonderful day, stay warm as well as Pogo!
Hug
Kyra

Nani said...

I hope the weather stays calm for a safe trips for you and Audrey. I saw a photo on my Instagram feed yesterday of two Tigers walking by palm trees in Florida, we have that to look forward to,

Keep warm during the countdown to Florida!

Hug, Nani