Sunday, July 20, 2014

I'm Cutting Back My Work Hours

July 20, 2014

Good morning.  Well, I did it!!  I cut back my work hours again starting today.  Now I'm going to be working just one night a week until I leave altogether.  And that time just might be coming up really soon.

Last night the Mrs was really wicked.  It got so bad that I had to call her family to tell them that either they come and talk to her or come and stay with her so I could leave.  They chose to come and talk to her.  

I had a chat with her son about how taking her out a couple times a week just might make her a little bit nicer to us.  She always complains about feeling like a prisoner, never doing anything or going anywhere.  She just sits and watches TV, eats and sleeps.  She has three adult children who could probably take turns taking her out once in a while for an hour or so.

We even discussed the possibility of a day or two at a senior day care center each week to give the Mrs some new surroundings and things to do.  There's also the senior center, where she could go once or twice a week for an hour or two to mingle with other people.  Hopefully, her family will seriously consider some of these ideas.

On a positive note, we have lots of new bird families, and it's such fun watching the young birds learning from their parents.  Here are some photos of one of the young blue jays.  Isn't he just the cutest little kid?





Deanne is babysitting two of my great grandchildren this weekend, and we're planning to go out for breakfast this morning once the little ones are awake and dressed.  I'm really looking forward to spending some time with the kids.

There was a bit of sunshine in the sky this morning on my way home from work, but now it's mostly cloudy.  Hmmm, maybe we'll get a few sprinkles?  That would be nice because our town has been having a problem with the town water source and has asked all the residents to please conserve as much water as possible all weekend.  A few sprinkles would feel ever so good to the lawns and gardens.

That's about all the news for this morning.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B.

6 comments:

Nani said...

Oh Edna, I'm so sorry to hear it was that bad with the Mrs last night! I hope the family does take your suggestions to heart. I know I get cranky if I'm cooped up in the house too long, last winter proved that! My great grandmother was in a nursing home because she needed the medical care available and we went for walks when we visited her and she came to out house for a while for holidays and every now and then until she told us she really didn't want to "travel" (it was 2 miles) anymore. It really did make a difference - her caretakers always mentioned what a sweet and happy person she was. Even after she no longer remembered who I was I still enjoyed visiting because she truly enjoyed the personal attention from visitors. Caring for and about your older family members is a lot more responsibility than just getting someone to do it.

Okay, I'm getting too close to soapbox. I was just very close to my great grandmother and all my grandparents.

Onto that brighter note, the baby blue jay is adorable! I love the photo with his little wings all stretched out!

Hope breakfast with the greats is/was wonderful!

Hugs, Nani

Debby said...

What a cute birdie. Glad you are cutting back your hours. Mrs. Must be a handful. Her family may think they are doing her best by keeping her in her home. She may need additional care now.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Three cheers for you Miss Edna ... not only that you are cutting back on your workd days, but you made some marvelous suggestions to her family. There may even be services that will come pick her up and take her to the Senior Center ... or even her church if she belongs to one. I agree she needs to get out and about, even if it is difficult.

Your baby Blue Jay is adorable ... we have them here too, but they land in the tree where I can't get good shots of them ... But, I can hear their squawky, squeeky voices all day long. What a hoot :)

Great Grandchildren, oh my. I am nearing those years as my Granddaugther is off to college. It won't be long before we hear wedding bells and then ... a great grandchild. I can't even imagine it. Lucky you :)

I am going to the Taste of Antioch this afternoon with McGuffy. That should be fun and tasty ... looking forward to it and maybe I will be able to bring home some tasties so I won't have to cook tonight. I am thinking that sounds like a good idea. So It is after 12 and I am leaving soon. You have a nice relaxing day my friend and big hugs to that handsome little boy :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

smiekeltje said...

Good for you you cut back on your working hours! And also good you talked to the Mrs'children about her moods.
It might help if they take turns taking her out once in a while.
I can understand the Mrs. about her feeling like a prisoner.
That blue jay is so cute!

Hopefully you will get a little bit of rain, nature needs it and it is good for us too, if it's not lasting too long.
Hope you will have a great day with Deanne and the great grandchildren.
Hug
Kyra

The Queen Jester said...

She sounds like she's incredibly bored at at the end of her wits, unfortunately she's taking it out on you. Your suggestions to the family are good and it sounds like getting her out of the house once in a while would be great. Hopefully they will do this soon since once old man winter sets in it would be nearly impossible to have an enjoyable outing.
Good for you in setting those boundaries and taking care of your own emotional needs.

Annesphamily said...

Oh Edna the Mrs. needs some outlets. What the heck is wrong with her phamily? You know, last week I took a call from a patient who cussed up a storm. The doctor who referred her said they had to file a police report and on and on it went! She came yesterday and was quite nice. The Medical Asst. told me if they read her history they would see the woman suffered from a traumatic brain injury! DUH! No wonder she goes off on a bender of cussing! My doctor has a very kind heart. When it comes to the elderly he will look at people who are mean or spiteful and say "Remember, one day you will be here too." The older folks love him as much as the kids do! Take care of you but I am glad you gave that phamily some ideas to try! My goodness who would not be crabby and mean if they were held prisoner in their home?! I need to pray extra hard for the Mrs. You take care. Hugs, Anne