Sunday, August 25, 2013

It's Time To Harvest The Fields

August 25, 2013

Good morning.  I'm back home now and catching up a bit on my email and blog reading.  Have you noticed the change in the temperatures lately?  Nights and mornings are a wee bit chilly now, in the fifties.  I guess this is signaling the end of summer.  I could have used a light jacket this morning for the ride home.  Thank goodness Baby Blue Eyes has a great heating system.

This week coming up, we should be getting another burst of summer weather.  Days in the low eighties and nights in the upper 60's.  I keep checking to see if the leaves on the trees are starting to change colors, but haven't really noticed much of this yet. 

Friday, a local farmer was starting to harvest the hay that was growing in the field across the street (at work).  The hay was cut and stacked while I was there to watch some of it.  Yesterday, before I got back to work, all the hay had been bailed and some had already been loaded on to a truck and hauled away. 

 Here's a photo that I took early this morning of the remaining bails of hay waiting to be loaded on to the truck.  You can see part of the loading machine parked behind the tree.


I also have a couple photos of a beautiful butterfly that was visiting the butterfly bushes in the Mrs' backyard. 




Last night, the moon was awesome, but it did not become visible where I was until quite late in the evening so I did not go out to take any photos.  Now I'm wishing that I had, because it was not visible this morning. 

I am watching the Weather Channel this morning.  They are discussing (and showing videos) of the all the wildfires that are currently burning in the western part of the country.  They are discussing the fact that we are running out of money to fight these fires and what can be done to bring them under control. 

 Isn't it sad that our government feels it is necessary to support the whole world while neglecting our own country?   Surely we have money to fight these fires and tend to all our ills if we can give so much away?  Isn't it time for Americans to stand up and fight to get our name at the top of the "charity" list?

I have no other news for this morning, so before I go off on a band box, I shall drink my coffee and maybe do a couple of chores around here.  Till tomorrow, Y'all have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B.

4 comments:

The Queen Jester said...

I can almost smell the day. My cousins had a dairy farm and I have fond memories of watching and helping with the baling. I was actually more in the way than being any help since I was a scrawny little girl with no upper body strength, but I got to wear the gloves and jeans and pretend I was a big part of it.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

They are bailing hay here too ... it is an awesome thing to watch, but a grueling job for the farmers ... especially in the heat. You may be cooler there, but we are going to have heat and humidity here that will feel like over 100 degrees ... so they tell us.
I think summer still has some life in it, but I am ready for fall, my favorite time of year (except for the leaf raking issues).

Love your pictures ... the bales of hay in that light give a warm homey feeling. And, I always love the butterflies. We don't have nearly as many as we used to so I get really excited when I see one.

I don't think it is our government per se, it is people within the government (congress) who won't allow anything to pass that costs money ... austerity is thier solution and it is really the problem. It works the way trickle down economics worked ... The rich get richer and the poor get poored and then ... Yes, the rich have all of the power. And, that is what you are seeing today. They have a strangle hold on our economy and their purpose ... profit, at any cost. So here we are powerless to do anything. Dumbfounded for sure and feeling hopeless ... what is go come of our democracy?
I get angry and depressed just thinking about it. Sorry, I am ranting on your blog ... shame one me. Catch you later, my friend.

Andrea @ From The Sol

Mats World said...

O how I remember those days of hay baling....hope to NEVER have to help do it again. Lots of work when I helped do it...now the machines do the hardest parts, but it still has to be run by the farmer and the truckers to deliver it....LOL!
We are still have some rather warm 100F days, I think we have had 22 so far this summer, but will be about 7 more at least added through next week, so the forecasters are saying! Ugh, so tired of summer! School starts back on Monday around here and next weekend is the last hurrah of Summer weekends.....Labor Day! I am hoping the weather will start dropping some as September moves in!
What lovely gifts from that talented Kyra, you are going to have a lovely album for Pogo! He is such an adorable little thing!
I adore doing pages for my great nieces and nephew....especially when I get so many adorable photos and such lovely gifted folks that share their work with me to make the scrapping so much fun!
Thanks for all the lovely photos you share, the floral, the butterflies, the dragonflies, the moon etc all are very good photos and I love seeing them.
Thanks for your visit to my blog and yes, I do love the printing of my blog books....they are fun to use for reminiscing and to leave a legacy for later.
Thanks for the texture freebie too, I love it! Have a great week ahead, chat more later! Hugs to you and Pogo! Mat :)

smiekeltje said...

We still have lovely weather in general, but yes, slowly you can feel that summer is going to its end. What a pity!
I've seen some of the big fires in California and they are so frightning.
lso here in the south of Europe in Portugal there are big bush fires, and some of them probably started on purpose, can you imagine that?
No Idea what should be the fun of it and I also think that people who start such a fire, never realize what danger they cause.
Going to blog now, have quite an anventure to tell, oh my!
Have a wonderful day
Hug
Kyra