Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Life Can Be So Good Some Days!

February 12, 2013

It's a beautiful morning here in my little part of the world.  The sun is shining, and it's about 40 degrees F,   I just can't believe how much of the snow has already melted.  Almost half of it is gone!  However, there are lots and lots of puddles.  We are still expecting more snow in a couple of days, and then again this weekend.  I suppose though, once you get two or three feet all at once, you can handle all the other smaller amounts.

You know how I've said that simple things make me smile?  Well I was looking through the new issue of Woman's Day magazine, and I came across an adorable ad by Geico.  It had me giggling for a few minutes.  It said:  " Knock, knock.  Who's there?  Woo.  Woo who?  That's the sound of millions of people saving money with Geico."  

I just love Knock Knock jokes.  I giggle like a little kid over elephant jokes too!   How do you know if there's an elephant in bed with you?  She has a big "E" on her pajama pocket!"   I cannot blame this on old age because I've been like this my whole life.

You know how I love the stories in the newspaper about our very active elders?  Well, in last night's paper, there was a column titled  "3 stories of those who inspire us to be better"

The first story read:  No. 1:  Lucy Loud of South Boston.  Ms Loud, 84 years young travels 22 miles round trip twice a week to volunteer at a center for the visually impaired.  She goes there to socialize with the members. While there, she prepares coffee and tea for them to go with the pastries that she brings each week.  In her spare time, she knits or crochets an afghan every week, and donates it to one of various organizations.  Lucy says that she does this because it makes her feel good.

I immediately went looking for a Boston phone book to see if I could find a phone number for Lucy so that I could call and congratulate her.  The very first number that I called was answered by a rather elderly lady's voice.  I said "Hi, I'm looking for Lucy Loud.  My name is Edna Loud (maiden name) and I...."  Immediately the lady responded with "Oh my goodness, Edna?  Is this you?" 

Yup, you guessed.  This was my Auntie Lucy.  I've seen her once since back in the mid 1940's, and that was in the mid 1980's.   We had a really nice chat, and will be getting together soon over lunch.  Life  can be very good some days.

Yesterday, at work, I took a few photos  (through the patio doors) of the birds at Mrs' feeder.  Every now and then a Carolina Wren shows up, but yesterday we had two of them at the feeder.  There was also an assortment of Sparrows, Juncos, Cardinals and a Blue Jay.




Now it's time to get dressed and push a few dust bunnies around.  Pretty soon it will be time to start packing my goodie box that I mail on ahead to myself in Florida.  Woo Who!!  Now I'm getting silly again so I'll be gone.  Till tomorrow, Y'all be safe and have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B.

4 comments:

aquascrap said...

What a wonderful day it was for you. Reading a newspaper column and it turns out to be an article about a long lost Aunty.

I hope that when you finally get to meet up you rekindle some wonderful memories.

Happy packing.....not long now for your holiday.

Have a great day

Hugs
Judy xx

Nani said...

Well, to quote a punch line,”Woo Hoo” about the wonderful happenstance of finding your aunt after all this time through a story in the news! All news is definitely NOT bad! That is just so cool!

The birds make the snow not so bad too, don’t they?

More snow…as you said after three feet it’s easier, but doesn’t it just make looking forward to Florida even more exciting?? :D

May things keep being awesome in your part of the world!!

Hugs, Nani

smiekeltje said...

It states that we are still full alive if we can giggle about silly things LOL!
And what a great thing that your autie was in the paper and that you had her on the phone!
Yes. sometimes life gives us nice surprises!
Love your bird pictures, they are beautiful!
Have fun with the dust bunnies, hahahaha.
Hug
Kyra

Vera said...

This is cool!