Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Put Something Warm On Your Pets

January 23, 2013

Good morning on this very chilly, BRRRRR, day here in New England.  It's 8 degrees F above zero.  On my way home from work this morning, it was 5 above zero, and I passed several folks out walking their dogs.  These folks were all bundled up in warm pants, jackets,  boots/shoes, hats, and some gloves.  The doggies were naked.  No shoes, coats, or sweaters.

Helloooo!!  Has it not occurred to any of  these folks that if it is that cold outside, maybe there pets should also be protected from the cold??  Folks, we have domesticated these animals.  They no longer can survive out in the cold cold wild.  For goodness sakes, if you insist in taking your pets out naked in the cold, at least do the same for yourself.

Do not wear a sweater, coat, hat, gloves or shoes/boots.  See how it feels for your precious pets.  See how it feels when your feet stick to the snow and ice.  Lots of fun shivering and turning blue, isn't it?  So what makes you think that it's okay for your pets??? 

I do realize that there are some animals with nice thick coats and who love to frolic in the snow.  Obviously, this little rant of mine was not meant for them.  Nuff said.

The second stalk on our Amaryllis plant has been blooming away this past week.  Finally though, the stem got too heavy leaning toward the sun (through the kitchen window) that it fell over.  I tied it back up with twine, and it is still blooming away.  Gosh, it is just so beautiful!  Here's a photo that took.


 It's like a fresh breath of Spring to see this lovely plant blooming.  This phrase brings back a fun memory from many years ago, when I joined a theatre group hoping to meet new people and get over my shyness.  Yes, I was very shy way back when!  I was hoping to work on props and scenery.  However, I was asked to help the folks auditioning for parts in the new play by reading a part opposite them.  They assured me I would only have to read to help the others.  YUP!

The bottom line is that I got one of the leading parts.  I was flabbergasted!   Speaking in front of people made me turn red and purple and get all flustered.  But that was sort of perfect for the part that I got.  I was a rather ditzy little old lady who carried her little bottle of "medicinal liquid" in her skirt pocket.  The play was called "A Breath Of Spring".

Photographers took our photos, and mine showed up in the newspaper.  Gosh, I was just the cutest little old gray haired lady you ever did see!!  When the curtain went up and the lights came on, I had the most wonderful time playing my part with the other players on stage.  I don't know where I got the guts to do this, but I'm glad I did it.

I've just spent over an hour looking for the newspaper clipping that goes with this story, but so far I have not found it.  It's here somewhere though, and one of these days I will find it. Well, now I think I'll make me a nice hot cup of coffee and play with Pogo for a while.  Till tomorrow, Y'all have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B. 

5 comments:

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

Lovely Amaryllis blooms! I agree with you on the rant of the dogs out in the weather unprotected. If it is too cold for you, it is too cold for them!
Got some errands to run today so thought I would blog walk really quickly, get dressed and head out to get them done...first time I have left the house since last Friday! Man am I becoming a real home body! (loving every minute of it too!)
Have a terrific day and give Pogo an extra hug from me...Hugs, Mat

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Well, I have one of those thick coated dogs ... Izzi would die if I tried to put a coat on her. In years past she would hold her feet up when they got cold and then I would know it was time to go in, but that hasn't happened yet this year, even in the -19degree wind chill weather. I'm the one, though bundled up with umteen layers, that has to head in ... it's those cheekes that get me. They start to burn. I know, there are the cheeks again. Speaking of Cheeks did you go to Queen Jester's yesterday ... if not, you need to. What a hoot!

Today I am sitting down for the first time. I took my neighbor for a test, then when I got home I had to go to the grocery store and the bird feed store. When I got home, my daughter was waiting for me ... I had completely forgotten that she had an appointment this afternoon. We got home just in time to feed the animals, then I had to make my big pot of spaghetti that my hubby is going to eat off of for the next four days while I am at the Sportman's Expo with the Raptors. Can't wait ... I love doing programs if for no other reason than I get to have my beloved birds on the glove. Well, of course I am not done yet because it is Wednesday and Izzi has her skills class tonight. This class has only four dogs in it and we get to run and rerun the courses until the dog gets the gist of what they are learning. Izzi is learning distance ... that is directing her through the course without going with her, but just giving commands and body language from one end. She is really a smarty and does it very well. In fact, I think she loves not having me breathing down her neck when she is focused. It is really fun:) I guess I better go. I have to put together a plate for Dave (he does't like to eat until later), then we will be off. Don't know if you are working again tonight, but hope you have a good restful night, where ever you are ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

smiekeltje said...

Great story about your stage performance!
Your amaryllis is beautiful!
And yes, may be some of the pets should have some protection against the cold, but even if they are domesticated, they still have more resistance than we have to be outside. But you may be right, if temps are getting really low, that's a different quiestion.
You have a wonderful, wrm day!
Hug
Kyra

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I know, Iknow ... I already commented on this post. But, I had a brain fart and forgot to tell you that I have given you an award :). Come on over and pick it up ... you will have to roll down a post or two to find it, duh. So sorry ... Too much on my mind these days!

Andrea @ From The Sol

The Queen Jester said...

I am so proud of you for doing this! I have always wanted to try out for some kind of play but never got the guts to do it. You rock!
I agree with you completely about the pets out in the cold issue and have been known to report those who seem to think it' okay to tie up a small short haired dog outside thinking it's okay because they have a dog house. No bedding, no straw or blanket, but just a wooden house. There should be an idiot exam before allowing people to have pets.