Friday, December 28, 2012

Imagine Paying $8 For A Gallon Of Milk?

December 28, 2012

The sun is shining this morning, and there is a light coating of snow on everything.  We had a little snow late yesterday, and the weatherman is forecasting more for tomorrow.  It's a toss up though, as to how much we'll get.  Depending on which forecast you watch, we should be getting somewhere between 1 and 6 inches.  We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm watching the chatter about the economic problems that will soon be here.  For one, the farm bill.  If a new one isn't passed before the new year, milk and dairy products will be priced out of a lot of folks' income range. 

All one hears is how the Republicans are the bad guys by not giving in to the Democrats.  To be perfectly honest, it wouldn't hurt if the president and the democrats gave in a bit too.  For the good of all of America, I think it's time to get rid of the party system.  They fight so much between themselves that it hurts the whole country.  If there were no parties, Congress would have to just focus on the policies of the country, and not what will fatten up their pockets the best. 

And I say "shame on the president" for not setting a better example of a good American.  Does he not understand anything about brotherhood and sharing?  Everything takes give and take in order to work well.  You can't have everything your way and expect everyone else to get along fine.  I for one, will give up milk if it goes to $5, $6, $7 and $8 a gallon.  I will miss my favorite cheeses and the dishes that need them.  This in turn will hurt the farmers seriously.  Oops, there goes another big hit on our economy!

That's it.  I promise not to start up a new band box over our seriously selfish politics!  Nuff said!

I have some interesting photos to share with you this morning.  These were taken on Monday (Christmas Eve day) around 3:30 p.m. while I was on my way to Deanne's house.   In the first photo, I was slowly approaching a red traffic light when I noticed the sun doing it's best to shine from behind a very thick cloud layer. 



However, just a little ways over, there was the line that separated the cloud layer from the rest of the blue sky.  A few minutes later, just before I turned on to Deanne's street, I saw this great big gorgeous moon in the blue part of the same sky.  Of course I had to stop for a photo.

 
I don't remember ever seeing both the sun and the moon so close together at the same time.  And yes, this is a different tree.  We have a lot of these beautiful green giants.  My house is almost surrounded by them.  Anyway, I just thought this was very interesting and wanted to share it.

Yesterday, I did a lot of laundry, (scatter rugs, blankets and some clothes) so today I think I'll take it easy and enjoy some of my new books.  I have enough new learning stuff now to keep me busy for a very long time.  lol.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B.

2 comments:

aquascrap said...

We would already pay $8.00 a gallon for our milk here. At the moment we buy 2 litres of milk for $4.75 and 2 litres is equivalent to 0.528 of a US gallon and so we are well over $8.00 per gallon.

The milk we buy though is maybe a bit dearer than the run of the mill milk as we like ours non homogenised and also it's organic.

The farmers here complain all the time that they are being paid a pittance for their milk, the middle man and supermarkets make the profits.

Who'd want to be a farmer these days? The vegetable farmers have the same problem, it's the consumers who pay through the nose while the multi nationals rake in the money.

smiekeltje said...

Good idea, to takee a day for yourself and do some reading and designing and a photo or two and so on!
Better not to start talking about politics. We have the same thing only we have lots more parties in our parliament!
But the ones that form now the government, make the decisions in most, are two parties, and they don;t do a lot of the things promised in their campaigns.
And all the measurements are taken just for the good of the country. Perhaps, a few, but I wonder if all they do is really necessary and if they are doing the right things LOL!
For a lot of folks the coming year will be difficult, and more than difficult. And yes, I still believe there are some good willing politicians, who want to do the right things, but they are in minority and blown away so to say.
Let us forget about all that, and just enjoy the good things we still have and let's enjoy these last days of the year. Lots of things to watch on tv, like speed skating, darts, several good detectives, so our program is well-filled LOL. And then some computer playing too, oh my, not enough time.
Have a great weekend, have fun with Pogo.
Hug
Kyra