Saturday, October 27, 2012

We're Getting Ready For Sandy!

October 27, 2012

Good morning.  It's sunny and not too cool.  Rather perfect for an Autumn morning here in New England.  That's about to change soon though.  Hurricane Sandy is getting closer, and she's looking really fierce.  I keep the weather channel on most of the time so that I'm aware of any changes in the storm. 

On my way home from work yesterday, I stopped at one store to buy more water and batteries.  Next I stopped at the hardware store and bought  two heavy outdoor electric cords for the generator.  Can you imagine?  Over $100 for two cords!  A bit of a surprise, but a very necessary item. 

After I got home and hugged my Pogo, I took one of the dwarfs to the supermarket to do a bit of food shopping.  I also stopped at the automotive store to buy a new gas can.  Today, I will fill the can  with gas, and make sure that my car's gas tank is full.  Eddie will be by today to set up the generator and show Joe and me how to run it.

I dug out a cement block which I will be breaking into four smaller pieces.  Once the winds start up, I will have to tie one of these on each of Pogo's little feet when he goes out to sprinkle.  Otherwise, he will probably land two towns away on the wind.  lol.  (Just joking, I will not let the winds get him!)

As long as the basement doesn't flood, no trees hit the house, and we can keep the food from spoiling, we'll be okay.  I'm not worried about the heat.  We all have warm clothes and blankets.  My worst fears are for the cellar getting flooded again, and having trees crash down on to the roof.  I just don't want to go through this again.

I had such wonderful plans for this weekend, but they have been thwarted.  The storm takes preference right now.  I haven't seen a huge one like this for quite a while.  We New Englanders are a sturdy lot though, and we will manage somehow.

Yesterday, I took some photos through the Mrs' bedroom windows of the birds in the back yard.  They must know the storm's coming because they were scurrying around looking for food.  Here are pix of the some of the Robins.  There must have been a dozen of them in the yard.




Folks, after tomorrow, I'm not sure if I will be able to blog every day.  It will depend on the winds and the power outages that we are expecting.  I will do my best because this blog is my link to so many wonderful folks everywhere.  Meanwhile, if you are in the storm area, do take care and be safe.  Till tomorrow, Y'all have a wonderful day.\\

Hugs, Edna B.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're busy here with cousins down from Michigan. Stay safe! I'll be praying for you. Leona in Florida

Nani said...

I'll be watching the National weather and keeping an eye on the storm. I'm also keeping an eye on my reader for any updates from you. No rigid expectations, but post when you can so we all know what's going on and how you are.

You need to coordinate with the dwarfs to get together beer, wine and chips for a hurricane party. :)

Good thoughts and prayers for you all staying safe, dry and crashed trees free!

Hugs, Nani

aquascrap said...

Stay safe and I pray that by the time it reaches your area it has fizzled out.

The Queen Jester said...

If we don't hear from you for a while I will assume a power outtage has occured but that you are okay...because you simply must be okay. It sounds like you are well prepared and ready for this. It sounds scary to me.

smiekeltje said...

You prepaired well for the storm!
Hopefully it will not be becessary to use it all, just precaution measurements.
Sat safe, and keeps us informed as much as you can.
Hug
Kyra

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

Love the photos of the Robins and the Flicker! Please stay safe! Hugs, Mat