Sunday, June 3, 2012

Soggy BIrdie

June 3, 2012

It's a bit soggy outside this morning, but the sun does keep trying to peek out once in a while.  As long as the rain is on and off like this, I guess we can deal with it okay for the next week or so. 

Yesterday, I spotted a rather plump robin sitting on the edge of my roof so I grabbed my camera and started shooting (through the kitchen window).  The photos weren't so bad, so I thought I'd share them here.  Does she look a bit pregnant?  You can almost see the rain coming down.  Poor thing really should find some shelter in a tree.




It's a wonderful feeling to look out into one's yard and see robins scurrying around looking for nesting materials.  They are such pretty birds.

Last night I finished bundling up the first two parts of our June collab kit, which I will be posting for you tomorrow.  After that, I did a bit of research on Google about Queen Victoria, the longest reigning monarch of UK, and the great grandmother of Queen Elizabeth.  It really was quite interesting.

Alexandrina Victoria, only child of Edward, Duke of Kent, was born on May 24, 1819.  At age 18, she became Queen.  Later, she married Prince Albert and they had nine children.  All nine of their children and 26 of their 34 grandchildren that survived childhood married into royal and noble families across the continent, tying them all together and earning Queen Victoria the nickname "The Grandmother of Europe".

Queen Victoria reigned from June 20, 1837 till her death on January 22, 1901.  Sixty three years, seven months and two days as Queen made her the longest reigning British monarch, and the longest of any female monarch in history.  I found this portrait on Google showing Queen Victoria, Prince Albert and five of their children.  It was painted in 1846 by Franz Xaver Winterhalter.


Have I bored you?  Gosh, I hope not,  There is so much fascinating history for us to explore and learn about.  And the fact that we can find so much of it for free on the internet is simply mind boggling. 

Now that I've chewed your ear off, I'm going to give Tootsie her morning meds, and have a looksee in the cupboards to find something for breakfast.  Till  tomorrow, Y'all have a fabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

3 comments:

The Queen Jester said...

The robin looks like she's going to be a mama.

smiekeltje said...

It is fascinating when you read or see something of history.
This jubilee is really something, I also watched a 3 part documentary about Queen Elizabeth, which was real interesting.

Poor soaked robin! But lovely picture.
Going to post now, so have a great day
Hugs
Kyra

Mats World said...

Awesome photos! Lovely Robin.