Wednesday, October 12, 2011

An Embarrassing Senior Moment

October 12, 2011

Good morning.  It started out quite sunny, but the gray clouds are moving in and covering up the sun.  It looks as if we have some rain coming our way.  Hopefully, it will hold off until I finish my errands today.

I like shopping at Walmart, but the store nearest me does not carry fresh produce so I will have to make a trip to the supermarket.  Tootsie and I thought we might have peppers and eggs this morning, but alas, we have no peppers.  I also have to think what to make for supper.  Janet will be here and I like to make something special.  Hmmmm, maybe pizza?  We'll see.

Last Spring, I bought an adorable hand held scanner.  Up to now, it has been sitting on my desk because I have not been able to figure out how to make it work.  A couple of nights ago, this same scanner was being shown on the shopping channel, so I figured "why not?"   I'll just call them up and maybe they can tell me how to make it work. 

You're gonna love this one folks.  The one very important step that I could not figure out was ---  First, turn the power on.  Now why didn't I think of that?  I had been just pressing the "scan" button, and getting absolutely nothing.  Nil.  I checked everything I could think of including the battery.  So why didn't my fuzzy little brain think to turn the "off" button to "on"?   I think this is my worst senior moment to date.

After the Mrs went to bed last night, I spent the rest of the evening scanning.  Wow!  What a wonderful little gadget this is!  At least, once you figure out how to use it.  lol.  Now I have some more "photo walk" pix to share with you.  This first photo shows the enclosure that houses the Plymouth Rock.  You can actually see the Rock through the iron grating.


Next, I have a photo of Tootsie by the statue of William Bradford, Governor and Historian of the Plymouth Colony.   William Bradford was born in Austerfield, Yorkshire, England on March 19, 1590.  He served as governor of Plymouth Colony for over 30 years, after Governor John Carver died in April, 1621.  William Bradford died in Plymouth, Massachusetts, New England  on May 9, 1657.



I also  found an old photo of his birthplace.   (on Wikipedia)  This is "The Manor" in Austerfield, Yorkshire, England.


Right now, I'm watching "The Next Great Artist" (on TV)  and some of the most grotesque "art" that I have ever seen.  I can't imagine who in their right mind would actually want some of this "art" in their home, but I guess someone will.  Well, that's it for today.  So till tomorrow, Y'all have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B.

3 comments:

Nani said...

Edna, your embarrassing senior moment provides exactly the information I was looking for. I was looking at my stack of tickets and other ephemera for scrapbooking and realizing I hadn’t scanned it yet because the scanner is upstairs. I thought I’d heard of a hand-held scanner, but where? I dreamt about gadgets so vividly that I thought I’d seen them before, but only a dream. I was just talking to a friend about finding out that a cool gadget from a James Bond movie was never in any James Bond movie. The dream about the James Bond movie was exactly that, a dream all the way around!

Now, you let me know I wasn’t remembering a dream gadget! I need to look into a hand held scanner to go with my laptop! :)

Now, some comfort. As a producer and public access instructor, when I helped with trouble shooting, “Is it turned on?” was always the first question when something didn’t world. About a third of the time that was the problem. It’s human nature to be so surrounded by the details that the simple things are usually the problem. When the machine was turned on, often the answer was “no,” to “Is it connected?”

I’ll have my photo walk pictures up soon, but boy it looks like you had much better natural light than we did until the late afternoon! Thanks for sharing your photos!

smiekeltje said...

Oh I sooo feel with you LOL! Isn't it weird we try all things possible to get a gadget or whatever going that we just forget to do the most elementary thing: turn the switch on "on"?
You made me giggle when I read your story!
But who cares, at the end you can scan now!
We seem to get a bit more sun today. Suddenly the world looks all defferent, with some rays of sunlight!
Have a great day
Hugs
Kyra

Snowy said...

lol, had a good giggle reading your post, but that sort of thing has happened to me before as well, so its not so senior after all :)
thanks for the link to the textures, I downloaded some and had a good play last night. Hugs Snowy