Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Grand Memorial Day Ceremony

May 31, 2011

Good morning, and such a gorgeous morning it is!!!   Today is supposed to stay in the high 70's and mostly sunny.  Perfection!!  I could dig this weather year round.  Mmmm, mmm, mmm. 

Yesterday morning, we all went to the cemetery here in town for the Veterans' Call Out service.  I never knew of this before, and I'm so glad we went.  This is the first year that letters were sent out to the families involved, so the turnout was grand.

We got to walk around and check out all the different stones and dates.  Gosh, what a beautiful cemetery.  Soon after 10 a.m. the parade came to the cemetery.  This included the Police and Fire Departments, our local Scouts, surviving Veterans and the high school band. 

I do have a few photos to share.  There were more than 60 veterans on the call list, all deceased since last Memorial Day.  As each name was noted "Absent",  a poppy was placed in the large white planter to remember that person.  This first photo is when Artie's name was being called. 


Once the roll call was finished, there was a 21 gun salute. 


Throughout the ceremony, music was provided by the Randolph High School band.  After the gun salute, Taps was played.  This was a really beautiful ceremony.  Once it was ended, the parade folks lined up and headed back out the street to march back to the center of town.  This last photo is the our wonderful high school band getting ready to start marching.


Once I got back home, there was a couple loads of laundry waiting to be done before I could retire to my cozy little bed for a nap.  While the laundry was going, I did a bit of catching up on my blog reading and email.

Today, I'm hoping to spend some time outside after a little nap.  I'm off work now till Friday, Woo Hoo!!  Now it's time to give Tootsie her meds, and get this day started.  Tomorrow, I will be bringing you the new GI Blog Train which is packed full of fantastic goodies.  Till then, Y'all have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

2 comments:

Snowy said...

Looks like a great ceremony,I also go every year if I'm not working, just ours is in November.Love that photo where they fire the 21 shots, and I'm definitely a sucker for all these great Uniforms,lol.Good to read you had a nice time there.

Mary Ann Roesler said...

Your color is awesome. I can't believe we have the same camera's and lens. Your doing great with your doubler. Are you setting it at F11 to get the right DOF. Your doing great. I took some with mine on Sunday but haven't looked at them yet. Will do so as soon as I go get some flowers for Gene to plant. Your fence, flowers and garden is looking wonderful. I bet you didn't realize what a big project you were taking on.

Enjoy! Mary Ann