Sunday, February 14, 2010

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY

February 14, 2010
*
Happy Valentines Day everybody. It's 4:45 in the morning, and I thought I would chat with you a while in case I drift off to sleep again. Sleeping is good today. While I sleep, I don't hurt. Pretty soon, I have to get up off this sofa and let my Tootsie go potty. But that is painful, and I am trying to wait a while if she can.

Confused yet? Last night as I was leaving to go to work, I slipped and fell on the ice and broke my left foot. I didn't know it was broken, and still tried to go to work. I drove to a pharmacy to buy some Ace Bandage, but could not walk when I tried to get out of my car. I called work to say I wasn't able to to get there, and drove home.

God bless my brother. He drove me to the hospital and stayed there with me. After two sets of exrays, the doctor told me my foot was broken. There was a rather nasty fracture in an uncomfortable place on my foot. (Excuse me, but is there really a comfortable place to have a fracture?)

I also am very thankful for all my dwarfs. They showed so much concern, and helped me a lot. It's not pretty watching someone my age trying to walk, or better yet, climb stairs to get in the house when you can't put any weight on your foot. Ever tried hopping up stairs? At 40, it's an inconvenience. At 70, it's downright daunting.

I feel so helpless, and am so thankful that I am not completely alone here. I just feel bad for my little Tootsie. It takes me a long time to get around to tend to her. But she is so patient with me. She is funny though. She absolutely hates crutches. At times, when a couple of the dwarfs have had to use them, she would bark incessantly at them and try to chase them. With me, she is very protective, and does not mind my crutches.

I'm supposed to be using the walker they gave me at the hospital, but you need to be able to put both feet on the ground to use the walker. Maybe in a couple of days I will be able to use it. Meanwhile, my trusty old crutches will have to do.

Today, I had a Valentine freebie for you, but it is on my PC (I am in the living room using my laptop now), and it is too much of a project to try to get to the computer room to get it. I will try to have it for you tomorrow. I do have a photo of my broken foot to share.




*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
That's it for today. My foot is throbbing, and I am watching the clock till it's time for another pain pill. Hopefully, I won't need them after today. Till tomorrow, Y'all have a wonderful day.
*
Hugs, Edna B.

6 comments:

Snowy said...

Oh gods-so sorry to hear about your accident and your broken foot! Poor Edna , but as you said , it's a blessing that you have so many helpers there. I hope you'll be pain free soon and can hobble around again.
Love and hugs on Valentines Day to you all over there -Snowy :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you were injured!! Hope you have a smooth and swift recovery. Hope you can find a comfy place from which to enjoy watching those gorgeous birds. Cheers to your dwarfs, and Tootsie, for their help, patience and understanding.

Mary Ann Roesler said...

Oh, Dear Edna...it couldn't have happened at a worst time, here with you planning your vacation. I wish I could make the pain go away but I know you're a good nurse and know what to do. REST now that you have an excuse and let everyone wait on you.

Nani said...

Oh Edna! I'm so sad you're hurt, but glad you only broke a foot! Okay, yes, ice terrifies me trying to move on it without falling with a cane, but that fear is that slipping, you can do so much worse, hitting your head or something, I'm so sad it happened, but thankful it was just your foot!

Rest and feel better! I'll be back catching up on some more reading over the next couple days. Get better, be well, my friend!

smiekeltje said...

Oh Holy SH...... Edna, don;t give us such a bad surprise!!!! So sorry to hear you are injured, and of course it's a bad thing, but it could have been much worse(always look at the bright side, and if there isn;t one, MAKE one LOL)
Good you are not alone in the house. Hope soon the pain is gone and that it really will heal itself very quickly. And just at such an incovenient time(there isn;t a GOOD time for this) just very shoprt on your holiday ! Take good care dear, give it time to heal, and just make the most out of all the rest you are having now! Big hug,
Kyra

Edie B. said...

I never realized your foot is so big! Giggle.... I hope the serious pain has subsided. Good thing you didn't have to go out today! Or, did you? Hugs, Edie B